Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Curve->Storm -- minimal changes for usable interface?

I see the 5.0 reference docs - but is there document specificly for making a Curve applicaton as usable as possible on touch devices with minimal code changes?

For example, the soft keyboard appears by default and I can't dismiss it, so I'd like to make sure it doesn't appear unless I'm at an input field. (I am listening for key events, but it's only for hidden shortcuts and I don't want the keyboard to appear unless the users asks for it.)

thanks!

Developer

Re: Curve->Storm -- minimal changes for usable interface?

If you are willing to compile the code under 4.7, then the applicaton will not execute in compatibility mode, so you will not see the permanent virtual keyboard.

Developer

Are you wanting to keep the same code base, or just take the app and 'port' to TouchScreen?
Developer

That sounds like an easy first step - thanks.

Can I have 4.5 and 4.7 Eclipse plug-ins both installed and switchable?

Developer

The immediate requirement is to just have the keyboard go away so there's more screen real-estate.

I'll see what the behavior is like compiled under 4.7.

I'm only officially supporting the Curve at the moment -- having it run on the Strorm is a nice-to-have.

If it's not alot of work to add and I can add value by coding to 4.7/5.x-specific features, I can do a little of that too.

That's why I was looking for a doc that talked about these matters.

Developer

Re: Curve->Storm -- minimal changes for usable interface? [Still running in compat. mode :( )

I've downloaded and installed the 4.7 JDE, the 4.7 eclipse plug-in, changed to use 4.7 JARs (verified in build path) and cleaned/recompiled.

The application still is running in compat. mode with the keyboard present - what next??

Is there another step I'm missing?

thanks for any help

Developer

Re: Curve->Storm -- minimal changes for usable interface? [Still running in compat. mode :( )

There is a known bug in 4.7 where, once you run a copy of a cod in "compatibilty" mode, it stays there even after you recompile under 4.7.

You can disable compatibility mode for the app in Options.

Developer
My Device: Blackberry Storm, Curve, Tour

Two ways to fix that:  Go to "Options", go to the Advanced/Applications and highlight (but don't click on) the application name. Pull up the menu and see the menu Item that says something like " Enable Compatibility Mode" or may it will say Dsable Compatibiltiy mode now for you.  click on that to fix the problem.

Other way: there is an API to allow setting/disabling Compatibilty mode (the display with the blue box around it and the keyboard showing).

Minimal changes: I have an app running on Storm and Curve/Tour using the same code base but different builds (4.7. vs 4.5).  If you don't use Backgrounds (use the 4.5 style paint background instead) and the Virtual Keyboard then you should be OK.  The PIM stuff is different if you use some of the 4.7 added fields. I chose to emulate the new 4.7 PIM functionality back on 4.5.

Ken J Kelly