Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
searchpig
My Device: Not Specified

Data access

Greetings All,

I'm new to both Java and blackberry, but not programming.  I'm looking to create an application to display reference information.  It is currently in a Visual Foxpro DBF file.  I'm trying to find out how to convert my data into a format that is compatable with the Blackberry.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?  Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Ray

Please use plain text.
Developer
My Device: ***
My Carrier: ***

Re: Data access

As you're a newbie - check this link:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=java_dev&thread.id=13264

BlackBerry OS itself recognizes text files. So, you can convert your dbf file to a text file and view it on BlackBerry.

To find information on DBF Format use a search engine, for example Google.

Please use plain text.
Developer
bneeman

A long time ago, in college, we wrote a Pascal app that opened DBF files. If your DBF are one-file-per-table consider writing JAVA code to read DBF directly without converting. It's not so hard. The format starts with a header that contains 'n' field descriptors. After the header it's just an "array" of records. The records themselves are fixed-length. There are no variable-length fields in DBF. Fields whose value is shorter than the allocated space are padded to fill the space.

Cheers, Barak

Please use plain text.
New Developer
searchpig

Thanks for the reply.  I can convert my data into any format.  I've been looking into the MIDP RMS APIs.  Is that going to be the best way to go? As far as I can tell, the data can be a ASCII delimited or CSV file?

Regards,

Ray

Please use plain text.