Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
gxgraham
My Device: Curve 8320
Accepted Solution

Debug/Attach to Handheld/USB attached device. Does this exist in Eclipse?

In the JDE you an debug on the handheld.  Does anyone know if this capability exists for the Eclipse plugin.  I haven't been able to locate it.

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Debug/Attach to Handheld/USB attached device. Does this exist in Eclipse?

Yes it does.  To configure it click on the black arrow beside the debug icon in Eclipse and select Open Debug Dialog.  Then click on BlackBerry Device and create a new entry.  You can create an entry based on a specific PIN or have it apply to any BlackBerry connected.  Then click on the Debug menu to execute it.  After it has been run once it'll show up in the drop down list of possible debug options in Eclipse.
Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
New Developer
OttawaGuy
My Device: Not Specified

Hi I'm new to developing for the blackberry, but not to java or eclipse. I've downloaded the bb plugin for eclipse and have been getting familiar with the setup.

I can't get my application to stop on the breakpoints I've set. I've followed these steps but I can't get the application to stop on breakpoints... I've even tried setting breakpoints on a provided example... that doesn't work either.

Any help would be appreciated. 

Please use plain text.
New Developer
OttawaGuy

I've switched simulators to the 9530 and everything seems to work now. Not sure what is different .... but at least it works.
Please use plain text.
New Developer
jacytan

hi,

i followed your instructions on how to attach to handheld, but when i try to debug it, pop-ups about unfound debug files appear. i just ignore them and continue. it says in the output window "attach: success". but i cannot find the icon of the application on my device. is there something else i need to do? my blackberry is not registered on any BES yet. is the BES necessary for just debugging my applications on the device? i need help! please! :smileyhappy:

thanks,

jaclyn

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

The warning means that the IDE was unable to find the debug files for your BlackBerry handheld.  The debug files for the BlackBerry handheld software are installed with the BlackBerry Simulator.  This means you'll need to install a BlackBerry Simulator that has the exact same version of BlackBerry handheld software you are using on your device. 

Note that this process does not load the application onto your BlackBerry handheld.  You'll need to do this first before debugging.

How To - Load applications onto a BlackBerry smartphone
Article Number: DB-00041

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/800708/800647/How_To_...

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
New Developer
fdu4

MSohm wrote:

This means you'll need to install a BlackBerry Simulator that has the exact same version of BlackBerry handheld software you are using on your device.

Hi, I have an 8800 handheld wich has software v4.5.0.69 installed on it. I have found no simulator download available with EXACT this software version. The closest is v4.5.0.55. What should I do to be able to debug with this device? Downgrade device software?

Please use plain text.
New Developer
fdu4

Anyone any ideas?

I'm not sure about downgrading possibility, as this device is connected to BES.

Please use plain text.
Developer
judall

Well I'm stumped.  I have a BB 9000 device running OS 5.0.0.411.  I also have installed the simulator for BB 9000 OS 5.0.0.411.  I can connect my device to my PC.  I can use Desktop manager to install my application onto the device.  My application runs on the device.  I can debug my application in the simulator.

However, the one thing I can't do is debug the device connected to my PC using the Eclipse IDE.  Yes - I have set up a debug configuration that attaches to the device.  Selected 'Debug' on that configuration results in exactly nothing happening.  Nothing good, nothing bad.  Just plain nothing.

Help???

Please use plain text.
Developer
GoldenJoe

I'm having the same problem as the above poster.  Eclipse signs the build, and then nothing happens.  Please help!

Please use plain text.