Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Trusted Contributor
adrianeireyahoo
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Delete app from blackberry device

When I remove ym dev app (by just deleting) and add a new version of the app some parts of the app which been removed seem to be carried across. What is the correct way for deleting/adding a newer version of an app ?

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
adrianeireyahoo

Re: Delete app from blackberry device

Seems I have to restart the device everytime between app installs....

Please use plain text.
Developer
sheeluwiki
My Device: simulator

I restart my device too.. Think that is unavoidable..

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Click "Accept as Solution" if post was what you needed. Give kudos if you feel response is helpful.

Please use plain text.
Developer
hemak

Some applications need device restart when they are deleted, and some doesn't need device restart.But when you try to delete any application, it will be just marked for deletion,Actual deletion will happen when device restarts, Application will disappear from the list but complete deletion happens once device restarts.
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange

"But when you try to delete any application, it will be just marked for deletion"

Are you sure?  As noted some applications (e.g. those with autostart processes currently running) do require a restart before deletion but I thought simple apps would delete completely. 

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
spardhan

When you say just by deleting do you mean just deleting from the device application menu? I have noticed properties and components being carried across one version to the next if I overwrite the existing version with another but not when I delete the old first and then load the new version.

You could try erasing the module through javaloader and then load the application.

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange

"I have noticed properties and components being carried across one version to the next if I overwrite the existing version with another but not when I delete the old first and then load the new version."

If you delete an application, and associated persistent storage will be removed.  If you update an application, provided the persistent store classes have not changed, they are retained.  I think this explains what you see. 

Please use plain text.
Developer
hemak

[ Edited ]

Peter i did a R&D on App deletetion (ofcourse it failed as we wanted to restrict App deletion).So at that time i created Two apps Auto start , Normal HelloWorldApp.And programatically tried to delete these two apps they were just marked for deletion.As i have implemented CodeModuleListener in my App i was able to monitor it's methods. moduleDeletionsPending method of that listener got executed , but modulesDeleted method in that CodeModuleListner is not executed.I waited for some time but still no result.Ofcourse i tried this in simulator not on device.I am a beginer in blackberry peter thats why i can't say anything about the surity .I replied in this thread on the basis of my R&D experience.

Please use plain text.
Developer
simon_hain
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport

That's in line with other posts i have read, so i assume your findings are correct hemak.
I think some people posted methods how to prompt for reboot, which seems to be needed in this case.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange

I just deleted and reinstalled an App World app (VirginTrain Tickets, which is free, so you can test this) without a restart.  If the device required a reboot to delete, would it have let me re-install?  OS 5.0, 8520. 

Please use plain text.