If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
Andiamo
My Device: BlackBerry Storm 9550

Deploying without rebooting simulator causes cross application communication error (Eclipse Plugin 1.1)

[ Edited ]

Hi there,

I just discovered today that the newly released Eclipse plugin version 1.1 allows us to deploy modified versions of the app to the simulator without having to wait for the damned thing to reboot.

Ecstatic that I would no longer have to wait 2 minutes to test minor changes, I went ahead and tried it out. Surely enough, I can deploy without it telling me "only one instance of the simulator can be running" and something happens on the device since a garbage collection occurs, but when I try to open the Downloads app folder I get three or four IllegalArgumentExceptions (from the OS, not my app apparently). Then upon clicking my app icon I get an error stating "Application Mango was terminated: denied permission 'Cross Application Communication'."

After that I can't get the app running again unless I reboot the simulator. :smileysad:

Any ideas? I would really love to get this working! :smileyhappy:

EDIT: Follow up, I tried to go to Options >> Applications >> MyApp >> Edit Permissions >> Set all to "Allow". After doing this I am able to start the app without the permissions error. However, after modifying the app and redeploying again these permissions are reset and I have to change them again, even if I go and set the default permissions.

EDIT 2: Oddly, I found a way around this. Before I was always closing the app before re-deploying. However if the app is open when I re-deploy it launches without any problems. That will suffice for me. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Developer
ekke
My Device: Z10 (red Limited Edition), Q10, Z30
My Carrier: Telekom.de, O2, Vodafone

Re: Deploying without rebooting simulator causes cross application communication error (Eclipse Plugin 1.1)

I run into the same problem - am developing 3 applications and also testing.

all apps using PersistentStore fail with "Cross Application Communication Error" if packaging new.

(only exception - as you mentioned - is the currently opened application in simulator)

so now I always have to restart the simulator if deploying an app which isn't currently opened in simulator

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ekke (independent software architect, rosenheim, germany)

BlackBerry Elite Developer
International Development Mobile Apps BlackBerry 10 Cascades
Cascades - Workshops / Trainings / Bootcamps

Open Source Enthusiast
blog: http://ekkes-corner.org videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/ekkescorner
bb10-development: http://appbus.org Twitter: @ekkescorner
Please use plain text.
Developer
simon_hain
My Device: Z10 LE
My Carrier: O2 Germany

Re: Deploying without rebooting simulator causes cross application communication error (Eclipse Plugin 1.1)

i would suggest to check the application permissions prior to launching the real application

----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Please use plain text.
Developer
sneg
My Device: Not Specified

I'll suggest to use RecordStore instead of PersistentStore while developing.

You should decide if the time spent on making RecordStore implementation will cover time spent on restarting the simulator.

Please use plain text.
Developer
donturner
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 (White)
My Carrier: Vodafone

Thanks Andiamo, was having the exact same problem and your fix with leaving the app running works great. Although it's really strange that it works because before if I tried re-deploying the app when it was running then I would have to wait ~3mins for the simulator to re-load! 

Please use plain text.