Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
skyguard457
My Device: Not Specified

Deployment of application to bulk users

We have developed an application which can be downloaded onto a Blackberry phone via BB desktop manager.

We now wish to deploy this application to around 100 users which we don't want to do via BB desktop manager.

Can anyone recommend the best way of doing this? Is Wap download link via SMS message a way?

Help appreciated.

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Developer
YamilBracho
My Device: 8520
My Carrier: Movistar

Re: Deployment of application to bulk users

AppWorld or OTA...

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange

You can email or SMS a link to an OTA install.  Not so easy with App World, requires the user to have App World installed.  But if they have, I believe it is possible to email or SMS a link that will do the download from there too. 

Please use plain text.
New Developer
ennova2005

You dont say if you have a Blackberry Enterprise Server . If that is an option for you you can follow the instructions here:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB03748

Please use plain text.
New Developer
skyguard457

Thank you all for your responses. It is not to be done via a BES server. Currently the application consists of a .cod and .alx file.

We want to have the ability to text the user who requires to install our application  via a WAP link which is part of the content of the SMS message. What is needed and how can this work?

Alternative recommendations accepted.

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange

I believe you can text a URL and the user can click on that to start the Browser.  So you point that URL at the jad, the user clicks and then clicks the download button. You will need the jad to do this.  Does that make sense.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
skyguard457

Many thanks for your explanation. I thought this was the case just wanted confirmation.

Another question relating to BES and 3rd party application installation.

We have a user which has successfully installed the application on his phone. Hes device is connected to a BES server.

In order for the application to work, all the permission messages needs to be set to "allow", but the phone does not give this option, only "custom" and "deny". Why is this the case?

Thanks

Ricardo

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

skyguard457 wrote:

Many thanks for your explanation. I thought this was the case just wanted confirmation.

Another question relating to BES and 3rd party application installation.

We have a user which has successfully installed the application on his phone. Hes device is connected to a BES server.

In order for the application to work, all the permission messages needs to be set to "allow", but the phone does not give this option, only "custom" and "deny". Why is this the case?

Thanks

Ricardo

The user's BlackBerry Enterprise Server administrator has locked down their Application Control Policy settings so that they can't enable that particular setting.  They'll need to talk to their admin to get it changed.

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
New Developer
skyguard457

Hi there,

Thank you for this response. Im sorry to ask again but exactly what setting need changing?

I have spoken to the administrator of the BES server and he tells me there are a few settings in the Application control Policy which he can change.

Is there a specific one he should look for to deactivate? Your help would be much appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

Where he changes this will vary based on the version of BlackBerry Enterprise Server and the mail platform it is attached to.  Find that out and create a new post with that information in the BlackBerry Enterprise Solution forum: 

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Enterprise-Solution/bd-p/BlackBerryEnterpriseSolut...

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.