Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 7250
My Carrier: Bell

Desktop Shortcut to dial a number

I have been given the task of providing the following - creation of a download link (install of some sort) that will install an icon (our company logo)  onto the desktop. When clicked, the icon will dial a static phone number set up by our service provider (format - #1234) and connect the call. This icon will only be installed by participants of our program who use the same service provider as we do.

My first question - is this even possible on a Blackberry?

Secondly - any direction or recommendations as to how I might move forward with this would be great! I have absolutely no experience with mobile development yet - this will be my pilot project (hopefully). We are mainly a .Net development shop so will probably be using the plugin for Microsoft Visual Studio.

All Replies
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9650/BlackBerry Torch 9800

Re: Desktop Shortcut to dial a number

1) Yes it's possible

2) It depends on how flexible you want it to be but it would be best to hammer out all of your requirements then do research on how to proceed. I'm not too familiar with the Visual Studio plugin so I cannot help you there but the actual implementation should be straightforward.

Jerome Carty - Follow jcarty on Twitter@jcarty | #webworks-dev / #BlackberryDev on irc.freenode.net | My Apps
Click "Accept as Solution" if post solved your original issue.. Give like/thumbs up if you feel post is helpful
My Device: BOLD 9700 OS5.0.0.x on Rogers Canada
My Carrier: Rogers

I can safely say I'm in -- or more accurately, was in a month ago -- that exact same position (Working for a .NET company, charged with creating my first ever mobile app). My first suggestion is to get Eclipse. It's free, and doesn't take up a whole lot of space. Plus there's a lot more support with respect to the BlackBerry plugin, as it's significantly more common so far as I can tell.

That said, my first suggestion would be to read the following link:

Once you get the basic app set up it shouldn't be too difficult to set up the functionality you outlined above. That said, you may be restricted to the user's service provider -- I'm not sure how that all works, but logically I can't see the phone using a different provider than what it was configured to use without changing the entire service. I also can't see a provider opting to forward calls from a phone not on their plan.

Good luck!

chown -R us ./base
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 7250
My Carrier: Bell

Thanks Dom!

That gives us a starting point and something to look at.

My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

doing a call is very simple, you use the Invoke class to launch the phone application and pass the number to dial as a parameter. you will have to sign the code though, be prepared to hand $20 over to rim.

feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter