Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Contributor
BigCat
My Device: BlackBerry Curve
My Carrier: Bell

Desperate to learn JAVA development...

Howdy folks..!

Is there a "WySiWyG" development tool out there, which will allow me to create a BlackBerry App?  

I know that's a "loaded question" among those who understand how to code, but I'm one of those "Idea People" who spend far too much time coming up with ideas, and far too little time learning how to make them reality.

I've used "App Inventor",  "GameSalad",  and been playing with others - but I need to develop for BlackBerry as well... and I just can't seem to find the right way to do so.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
BigCat

Re: Desperate to learn JAVA development...

I should add - that I'm not opposed to learning how to code, but I've not been able to find a good source to do so. So if anyone can tell me the best way for a "newb" to learn to code - that would be helpful too.
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange
My Device: Not Specified

[ Edited ]

Welcome to the forum.

There is no GUI development tool available sorry.  Every thing has to be done the hard way.

Use the search box to find help, try searching for "learn java" for example.  Remember other people have been where you are now.  For example, have a look at this:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Java-Development/New-to-Developing/td-p/1527125

Please use plain text.
Developer
smiley
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Fido

If you are coming from a RAD environment then you might be shocked that there is no such tool for JAVA on the BB.

Dev on the BB is like coding in C in the 80s.  Write your code in notepad and then use script to compile your app.  With the RIM JAVA IDE and Eclipse its a step up from coding with Notepad.

Download the latest SDK and study so examples.  If you have C/C++ background then you already know some Java.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
BigCat

I actually have no real background in a specific language.  I'm of the old "Bbs" scripting generation - and have long since forgotten the syntax of any language.

In a perfect world I would love to stumble upon a language that just "makes sense" when I see it...   So that's what I'm looking for first.  If I end up having to learn the hard way - I guess that's fine too - but I'm lazy - and working alone.  Having put all my energy into concept and logic - by the time I get to trying to remember the syntax requirements of whatever language - my brain is mush and I can't think anymore.

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange

In that case I would recommend that you start in another platform, especially as Blackberry Java is effectively end of life anyway since RIM have said that they will releasing phones with BB10, which has no Java support on it. 

The development environment for the PlayBook is a bit mixed up atm, but there is opportunity to do things the easy way with Adobe Air.  If you want to program in a real language, the you could also try Android, which is a pretty nice implementation using Java.  I personally don't get one with Objective C, but if you want to learn that, then you can develop for the various Apple products too. 

None of these will provide you with an easy in.

Another alternative is to develop using a cross platform tool, like PhoneGap.  This is not a real programming environment but  as I understand it, you can do some pretty cool stuff.    Given what you have said, PhoneGap is where I would go.   

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
BigCat

First off.. Thanks for the answeres so far. I dont often get this much useful info in a developers forum.

Here's the real problem.
My roommate works for a major telecommunications company in Canada. He spends many hours in the field ... And asked me to create an app to help him with a particular part of his job. So I found game salad and created the app he needed. But that is for his iPhone. Since then, several of his co-workers have asked if this app is available on other platforms. So I compiled it for android (which game salad does now) and thusly it is available on both App Stores.
BUT... Since its only useful to phone/network/tv field technicians - the reality is - it must be available to blackberry devices. Simply because blackberry is the chosen platform for ALL tel-com companies in north America.
So I either have to pay someone to create a BB version of the APP, or I have to learn how to make them myself. Which would be fine. But if java is about to become obsolete for BB ... Then perhaps I shouldn't be puting that much effort into it.
HTML5 is also an option, so I need to know which to learn. Also... The app in question is the ONLY one of its kind I any platform... So there is a sense of urgency to get it out there before clones start showing up.
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange

Would still suggest PhoneGap.  It is endorsed to a certain extent by RIM, and has been bought by Adobe so it appears that  they see it as strategic for the mobile space. 

Please use plain text.