Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
mweitzel
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Detecting "edge" and "EDGE" using the API ...

GPRS vs. EDGE vs. 3G is a technology question with regards to physical device capabilties and/or local network capabilities, i.e. if you use the BlackBerry 9000 Bold (3G capable) in an area where the current network provider 'only' supplies GPRS then the device will connect (and display) using GPRS.

The BlackBerry device in order to communicate with any of the other BlackBerry components requires the uppercase GRPS, EDGE or 3G (or the North American equivalents on the iDEN and CDMA networks, which escape me at the moment).

You will not be able to communicate through a BlackBerry Enterprise Server if COVERAGE_MDS == false (which the device definitely will return if you only have lowercase gprs, edge or 3g).

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
mweitzel
My Device: Not Specified

No it doesn't, all that is required is that the device can successfully register with the BlackBerry Infrastructure (for which having a data connection [gprs, edge or 3g] is a pre-requisite).

For clarity's sake: I am distinguishing between the uppercase and lowercase version of the radio indicator on the device as that is the visual cue for any BlackBerry user. The basic premise here is that if it is displayed in lowercase then the device hasn't successfully registered (yet). If the device displays the uppercase version then that signifies that the device has successfully registered and can route BlackBerry traffic (including browsing, email, etc.).

Please use plain text.
Developer
richard_puckett
My Device: Bold 9700

"Typically you can get this problem when you use a live BlackBerry device with a SIM card that doesn't have the BlackBerry service provisioned by the carrier that issued the SIM card."

Ah, I've been curious as to where the distinction lies with regards to edge vs EDGE.  Thanks for the clarifications.  To make sure I understand, MDS-level services (BES or BIS) may *not* be active generally only if the user has not subscribed to the service; it doesn't have anything to do with the physical layer..  Any other well-known reasons why BES/BIS service might not be available to users?  TIA.

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

Any other well-known reasons why BES/BIS service might not be available to users?  TIA.

Carriers are able to control access to the BlackBerry Internet Service and BlackBerry Enterprise Server service.  The BlackBerry must also have the service books for the appropriate service in order for their device to use it.  This happens during Enterprise Activation on a BlackBerry Enterprise Server, or when they set their BlackBerry up for a BlackBerry Internet Service account.  A user can also manually request service books be sent for a BlackBerry Internet Service account by pressing the "Send Service Books" button that appears when they log into their account.

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
Developer
VipulPathak
My Device: Curve - 8320
My Carrier: AirTel

This is great information. Thank you.

However, for the sake of clarity, I would like to know, what API can tell me that the Data Service is not available (much the same way, BlackBerry Browser is detecting) :

Scenario 1:  The device is provisioned with a BES  (The answer would be to use COVERAGE_MDS).

Scenario 2: The device is independent of a BES, i.e. using BIS.

Interesting to note the following behavior with 2 SIM cards, both not provisioned for Blackberry:

- CoverageInfo.isCoverageSufficient(CoverageInfo.COVERAGE_CARRIER)

- CoverageInfo.isCoverageSufficient(CoverageInfo.COVERAGE_MDS)

- RadioInfo.isDataServiceOperational()

- RadioInfo.getNetworkService()

- Coverage Indicator at Top Right corner of the screen

For SIM 1, which has Internet services enabled but not provisioned for Blackberry service access, returned this:

True,  False,  True,  {DATA, EDGE, VOICE},  "edge"

For SIM 2, which don't even has the Internet services enabled, returned this:

False,  False,  False,  {VOICE},  "GSM"

So far so good. The SIM with no Internet is returning all False, and the SIM with Internet returns True for isDataServiceOperational().

The thing left to understand are:

a. The Blackberry Browser still doesn't open any Webpage. Does it depends over MDS to open any URL ?

b. On a non BES connection, how to conclude that Web is still accessible (apart from using the Browser) ?

c. Why the SIM with no Internet returns False even for Coverage ? I am getting 4 bars and a capital "GSM" ?

Thanks for a Nice informative thread.

Regards,

*(Vipul)() ;
Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

Note that there are multiple types of browser available on the BlackBerry (you can choose your default under Options, Advanced Options, Browser). 

1.  BlackBerry Browser - Communicates using a BlackBerry Enterprise Server.  The CoverageInfo.COVERAGE_MDS constant applies to this route.

2.  Internet Browser - Makes use of the BlackBerry Internet Service.  The CoverageInfo.COVERAGE_BIS_B constant applies to this route.

3.  WAP Browser - Communicates using the carrier's WAP Gateway.  The CoverageInfo.COVERAGE_DIRECT partially covers this route.

The CoverageInfo.COVERAGE_DIRECT (previously CoverageInfo.COVERAGE_CARRIER) applies to the following routes.

• HTTP over WAP via WAP gateway;
  • Direct HTTP / TCP via carrier IP gateway;
  • Direct UDP via carrier or ASP gateway.

CoverageInfo.COVERAGE_DIRECT does not relate to the wireless signal level.  You can use the RadioInfo class to get this "lower level" information.

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
Developer
VipulPathak
My Device: Curve - 8320
My Carrier: AirTel

Thank you so much Mark for clearing the clouds.   :-)

*(Vipul)() ;
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
harshul_67
My Device: Blackberry storm-2 9550
My Carrier: Vodafone

[ Edited ]

Dear,
I am using Blackberry storm2 9550, which is unlocked for GSM use. SIM status:smileyfrustrated:IM                 - Disabled
Network           - Inactive Corporate         - Disabled
Networksubset  - Disabled
I have registered my BB with VodafoneEssar  BBprosumer lite 299 plan and I have configured my email 
accounts and received email on my handset.
after updating my OS 5.0.0. 713 my BIS services has stopped.(edge displayed in lower case on my BB handset.
1. I have done security wipe twice  and did not restore old data except my address book.
2. I have changed SIM card twice.
3. I have used my SIM on other handset 9650 but it did not worked on it (edge in lower case on new handset)
4. Last from Vodafone-Blackberry internet site I send service book on hand set but i didnot recevied any thing.
5. Lots of time I have done Hard reboot.(removing battery and SIM).
Visited Vodafone store but could not find solution to my problem.
Please guide me step by step solution for it. I will be greatfull  to hear from you

Please use plain text.
bbforumrp
My Device: 9800
My Carrier: Airtel

Hi All,

How can i detect 3G availability in RIM. Os version >= 5.

As i am using following API. It is not working.

if (RadioInfo.getNetworkType() == RadioInfo.NETWORK_SERVICE_EDGE) {          
         //3GAvailable Available.");
                   }

Requirements as follows:

1. If 3G is enabled in device , inform to user ...3G is available.

2. if  3G and wifi enabled in device, inform to user ...3G is available

Please help me out to solve my problem.

Thanks in advance..

Please use plain text.
Contributor
div15
My Device: 8900
My Carrier: airtel

Hi,

i am implementing a data indicator for BB which shows the current network service(like edge or 3g etc)

i want know how to detect GSM? I found APIs for edge , gprs and 3g but not for GSM.

PLease help. Its too urgent.

Thanks in advance.

Please use plain text.