Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
simon_hain
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport

DevCon update: BB-Java is dead, no java support for QNX

I just got confirmation from one of the "ask the experts"-guys, sitting in the DevCon ballroom right now.
"It's pretty obvious isn't it" he said, and "if you read between the lines you don't really have to ask me this question".

I got the same news some weeks ago through inofficial channels, the BB-player for QNX/playbook is not going to make it.

On the keynote they presented the huge success stories of several BB java apps, and announced how cool their new developer support would be, but on the same time they backstab the biggest part of they developers right here.

I have no doubt, BB-java is absolutely dead. As an enterprise developer we may continue to develop on it for some time, as all existing BBs run it, but the upcoming BBs will not have it.

Some of the marketing guys here wanted to interview me for some of my success stories, but i was not really in the mood.

As i don't want to go knee deep into html5+javascript (some of my web designer buddies do it day in, day out, and its not my thing) there is android and native (c++) sdk for QNX.
Switching to c++ will be quite painful, but maybe it is an actual improvement when it comes to possibilities of your app, think about data bases, webservices etc.

What i am totally dumbfounded about is how they can put my name into the keynote, say something about the big contributions peter and I made here on the forums, and, with the same breadth, don't say a single word about the future for all the developers here on this largest subsection.

I have no numbers, but my guess would be that 80%+ of all developers go with java, as its the full feature platforum for BB OS.
All of them will have to move to something else, but it seems they will all have to wait until they figure it out for themselves.

I guess with the new android player they are trying to get the android devs over, because the bb-java developers are not longer needed.

That's my main reason to write this post, to give at least the developers who frequent this forum the opportunity to plan their future accordingly.

Whoever decided to let all of the java devs in the dark: Shame on you.

Maybe Mike Kirkup went away because he did not want to support this strategy, but that's just wild speculation.

So, let's see what the future brings, i have some more or less interesting sessions on my DevCon schedule.

----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Please use plain text.
Developer
dnepr
My Device: Playbook

Re: DevCon update: BB-Java is dead, no java support for QNX

[ Edited ]

Least they could do is have the decency to say it and not milk it till the end.

It is dead for all intents and purposes, but they still have not openly admitted it.

It was a little weird of them to praise Java devs and apps and then go ahead and pull a stunt like this.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Lowkay
My Device: Curve 8520

What about WebWorks extensions, since they are written in Java do they get retained or will they be lost too?

This is not a good sign, we've invested considerable time in BB Java development, having to learn a whole new API and tool chain just to get our applications up to where they are now but for the QNX platform is a real blow, I was seriously hoping (despite the fact that I kind of knew it was a lost dream) that the Java APIs would stick around on QNX even if they were deprecated and not updated.

Please use plain text.
Developer
sblantipodi
My Device: Not Specified

I'm terrified from the news.

Can't belive it.

Please use plain text.
Developer
sblantipodi

is this a way to push the android apps on BB?
do you think that android apps will be treated as native or not?

I mean, will we see android apps in the market in the same way we see native apps or they will have a special section of the market for android apps?

Sincerely I can't wait to port our android apps on playbook.

Please use plain text.
Developer
simon_hain

Good question about the java extensions, i'm going to ask some RIM expert about that. I have no experience with webworks so far, so i'll just take your "webworks extensions" and ask him that.
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
@SimonHain on twitter
Please use plain text.
Developer
LSphone
My Device: Torch 9800, Storm 9530, Curve 8330

[ Edited ]

Wait a minute...

Android apps are Java, right?

They're going to let Android apps work on the new BB phones, but not any of the BB apps that run on previous BB phones?

So that means...

Why write native apps for Playbook or BBX, just write for Android and hit a much larger market.

Please use plain text.
Developer
simon_hain

I asked about the extensions. Simple answer: You have to rewrite them in air or something else.

Also asked about the features of android apps. "There will be very few features only available in the native sdk" was the statement, whatever that means.
@SimonHain on twitter
Please use plain text.
Developer
superdirt

[ Edited ]

I am grateful for everything that RIM has provided for me, but this totally sucks. A few months ago I quit my last job as I finally was getting enough revenue from my software sales, the vast majority of which comes from my BB Java applications. Now it looks like I can look forward to finding a new source of income and another few years of sleepless nights and eating tuna straight from the can. It is insulting to have been given almost no notice about the removal of Java support. And as far as I can tell there is currently no SDK for the BBX to work with yet, so I can't even prepare applications for the release of the next operating system.

I knew big changes lie ahead when I decided to be self-employed and I expected some type of detachment from BBOS in the future, but I did not expect RIM to drop support for all of the third party BES applications at the launch of the new devices. I thought keeping compatibility with these applications would be a high priority in developing BBX. Similarily, some of my BBOS applications (none of which integrate with BES) have been integrated into the work practices for businesses. What are the end users supposed to do? Why should they continue to use BlackBerry?

HTML5, Javascript, C, C++, Android ... what really bothers me about this switch, is that RIM seems to have made BBX for every mobile programmer EXCEPT for the current BBOS programmers.

Scott

Please use plain text.
Developer
silver20
My Device: Paper cup

Devs will now wrap up their Blackberry development as soon as possible, leaving a dying app scene for the current phones for the next couple of years when they're still being sold, and dead for years afterward when they're still being used.  There will be less and less new stuff written and updates will be abandoned.

If customers knew, they should definitely buy an Android, not a BlackBerry 7 phone.

Please use plain text.