Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: DevCon update: BB-Java is dead, no java support for QNX

If customers knew, they should definitely buy an Android, not a BlackBerry 7 phone.

I think the customers are already voting with their feet. Apple and Google have essentially caught RIM napping in the consumer phone space, and now they are feeding on RIM's core corporate market.

We've been "reading between the lines" for about two years now - it would be nice to actually get the "official" bad news from RIM.

Thanks to Simon for the post.

Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

Alec Saunders, the new VP of developer relations, wrote in his blog beginning this year:
In short, RIM’s success could become tied to Google’s good will, and over time there may be fewer and fewer native RIM applications as developers put their energy behind Android’s momentum confident in the knowledge that their applications will run on RIM platforms.
[...]
We still don’t know what RIM’s actual strategy is.  Let’s hope that their strategy is more than just hitching themselves to the Android band-wagon.

http://www.saunderslog.com/2011/02/11/is-rim-doomed-to-repeat-history/

I have also spoken to some of the RIM experts (in "meet the experts"), and can quote: "Android on QNX/PlayBook will have all features except a few", but said i should check the release notes to find out what these few features were.

Another expert i talked to said that Android would not deliver the full experience on QNX/PlayBook.

Without knowing the details i can only guess that Android will not be the first choice when it comes to development. On the other hand, it is quite tempting to develop an Android app (with everything that is possible there) and porting it back to QNX, even if some features will be missing.

At the moment there is a very very small customerbase for PlayBook apps. 200k shipped devices, and we don't know how many of them were give-aways - at the DevCon even a day pass will net you a free PlayBook. The manufacturer cutting the process lines personell.

Compare that to 60 mio BB-OS devices and you know by what number you can divide all the record numbers from the keynote.

I know some successful PlayBook developers, but how many BB-java developers can sustain a second environment without speakable revenue for half a year minimum? The new QNX BBs are rumored to come out april 2012, until then it will be difficult to sell QNX-based applications.

I have a meeting with some of RIMs staff tomorrow morning and will make it very clear how i feel. They want to thank me for my contributions, but i really doubt that they will come up with something that can soothe my anger about being treated so badly, both as a java developer and as a member of the developer community.

I can understand that QNX is the future, but providing no upgrade path for nearly all of the existing applications is a really really bad idea, and not even posting a single official statement towards this is going to cost RIM the support of a very active and loyal developer community. Is there a good Android board that would not mind a few thousand helpful posts (after answering my initial questions) ?

----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Developer

Sincerely I can't belive that RIM will throw away all the eco-system they have now.

Many of us will simply limit to port (badly) our android app on qnx, I really don't think that java

developers will care to port their java apps to qnx native.

Where is the official announcements where they say that they will abandon java?
What about the previous announcements where they say that they will continue to support Java apps from OS6.0 or greater?

Developer
My Device: Torch

Although it is not 100% official it seems pretty obvious that we are in a very bad position right now.

Very disappointing RIM!
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Press the button to give kudos if I helped you :smileyhappy:
Developer

I may be wrong here, but an Android "player" can only mean one thing - it is not high in Android API support. If RIM had any intentions of making the Android player rich in features, writing the player would be tantamount to creating a Java Virtual Machine. If they were going to write that much code, why stop at only making just a player when they could implement a full fledged Android Virtual Machine?

Scott
Developer
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: WiFi

simon_hain wrote:

Whoever decided to let all of the java devs in the dark: Shame on you.

Exactly my thoughts.

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
Developer
My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: T-Mobile

@Simon_Hain re: 'Is there a good Android board that would not mind a few thousand helpful posts (after answering my initial questions) ?'

I tend towards http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/android most often, which is where the Android Developer site directs people to go.

Developer
My Device: Paper cup

So, which mobile platform is the one that will never go away or dump its existing software base?  Android, or Apple?  Someone answer that, and maybe that's all we really need to know if we only have time to master one platform.

Apple already has a history of dumping its platform or making drastic changes.

I keep coming back to Flash, because it can build for everything with major market share both in mobile and desktop.  But even there, it's rumored to be replaced soon.

"Jack of all trades, master of none." -- Learned the folly of that way back, and it's why I stuck with RIM.  What's the next trade to master?

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: Orange

Thanks for this.

I think writing an Android application is nothing but a stop-gap solution, a NativeSDK application really should be reserved for games and high performance applications - it will be harder to get an application off the ground and for most application it is overkill.

That leaves WebWorks, which does seem the only viable option. I personally don't love javascript, but it runs on all modern smart phones, couple it with a few frameworks and you can get some very good code reuse for iOS, BB and Android.

Developer
My Device: Paper cup

[ Edited ]

One funny thing though -- if most of the workers leave the expiring old mine right away when the hot new mine has opened, the few people who stay behind could get rich.  But they better be sure, 'cause they'll be low on the totem pole when they finally move to the new mine.  They could also get rich by being early to the new one.

Think I'll flip that coin now...