If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
RexDoug
My Device: Not Specified

Re: DevCon update: BB-Java is dead, no java support for QNX

Quote from the BLOG post::

At BlackBerry DevCon Americas, we unveiled BlackBerry® BBX. Since the announcement, we’ve been receiving a lot of positive feedback from developers, as well as questions about supporting BlackBerry Java® on BlackBerry BBX and the current BlackBerry PlayBook OS.

I wonder which developers these are?

Please use plain text.
Developer
rihan007
My Device: Apple iPhone 3GS 16GB

Now i can concentrate on my android app , and also learn ios dev. 

Please use plain text.
Developer
simon_hain
My Device: Z10 LE
My Carrier: O2 Germany

RexDoug wrote:

Quote from the BLOG post::

At BlackBerry DevCon Americas, we unveiled BlackBerry® BBX. Since the announcement, we’ve been receiving a lot of positive feedback from developers, as well as questions about supporting BlackBerry Java® on BlackBerry BBX and the current BlackBerry PlayBook OS.

I wonder which developers these are?

This is marketing speech, you have to translate it back to the normal world if you want to understand it.

If you just label all feedback as positive you have a much better performance.

Still, sounds not very sincere to me, i would have expected them to use the label "constructive feedback".

And you also have to take into account that there was no official statement about no bb-java on qnx/bbx until the blog post. Probably not everybody watching the keynote figured it out that "no news means its dead" is a way of communicating with your developers.

----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Please use plain text.
Developer
dnepr
My Device: Playbook

They obviously don't want this making a big news story.

Please use plain text.
Developer
superdirt

What makes Android so much more advance than BB OS that Android apps would not provide "a diminished experience."

Scott

Please use plain text.
Developer
br14

Diminished Experience

I see coincidentally there's an upgrade to the SDK released today.

SDK 7 Upgrade

Please use plain text.
Developer
sblantipodi

[ Edited ]

can't belive what they are saying.

Please use plain text.
Developer
superdirt

A bigger diminished experience would be RIM not supporting the thousands of applications that BB users have integrated into their businesses and daily lives.

Please use plain text.
Developer
rcmaniac25
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.2.1.2174, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.0.700 Dev OS, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.0.700 Dev OS, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: Verizon

While I am disappointed with the concept of simply not talking about it (up until today) and not providing a transition period from BBOS to BBX, I am not really angry about it.

I am biased because I do BlackBerry development as a hobby, but I just look at it as “well, time to do more development.”

I feel that for someone trying to make a living off this, this news is really tough, if you work for a company doing this; possibly tougher, as you have bosses who would drop development instantly if/when they find out that BBX doesn’t support the current BlackBerry Java system.

If I could convince RIM to do anything, it’s to open source it. They don’t need to provide the COD format, provide a header file that covers the entire framework (and possible libraries for the security system and other “propriety” components) and then the reader for the COD format. People, myself included, would probably be willing to work on it to implement the header components.

But as that is not expected, I instead look to other areas for BBX development. I mostly do porting so this is just another port for me. I get to port my various libraries to it, I’m mainly a C# dev so possibly porting the Mono framework, if RIM doesn’t make a way to run BlackBerry apps on BBX, maybe I’ll give it a go to see what I can do. I’m not the best, probably not even great, but it would be something to help the community especially after reading all the anger in the previous couple pages of posts.

I enjoyed the past, the future may look bleak, but I’m sure they’ll be a sunny light at the end of the tunnel. People may say RIM is going to die, I say I will prove them wrong.

---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.
Please use plain text.
Developer
sblantipodi

rcmaniac25 wrote:

People may say RIM is going to die, I say I will prove them wrong.

And how do you prove it?

I know dozens of developers that are abandoning RIM, good developers with important apps on their back.

In any case I hope you are right, personally I will create my bar as a port of our android app but I'm not glad with this kind of Class B development.

Please use plain text.