Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Z10 LE
My Carrier: Vodafone NL

Re: DevCon update: BB-Java is dead, no java support for QNX

PB android implementation isn't truly android. Some API aren't supported. I don't like the way how android apps are working in PB now - all running apps inside one android player.

Developer
My Device: Z10

Well, somebody that appreciates not being abused by some malicious SW would disagree with you.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Leader of Ljubljana BlackBerry Developer Group
BlackBerry Certified Builder for Native Application Development
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

android player is a toy for android apps, not a real player for apps.

Developer

Before PB was launched, people had been talking that AIR/Flash implementation had been bad (memory leaks, etc.) but at the end it was just a bull**bleep**. PB has come out just fine.

So let's wait for OS 2.0 and see how Android player will work out. You can't spit on the Android player if you haven't seen it in real production OS (buggy beta is excluded). AFAIK from DevCon, Android player IS NOT a virtual machine inside QNX.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

Android player is a player, nothing more, and not a real android.

There was a BB java player as well, at least rumors say, but it was scapped as the performance was bad and not all functionality available.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Regular Contributor

So... now, what should we learn to develop BB applications?. QNX, Android or Webworks (Don't like webapps anyway). And I'm currently developing a BB java based application for existing customer phones... I really doubt they will change to QNX phones during the next year... so BB development is still the only way for now... but It worries me the future, will we need to reimplement the whole application using other platform?? What would you recommend me?.

Developer

I also hate HTML5/JS.

I currently work on AIR but I will evaluate QtQuick/Qt/NDK.
Developer

[ Edited ]

RIM has confirmed what I mentioned earlier, that the PlayBook OS and BB 10 will share the same basic framework. If you want to prepare your application for BB 10, it would probably be a good idea to develop a PlayBook version of your application. That way, when BB 10 devices arrive, you can probably just reuse most of the code from your PlayBook version and alter the visuals, and you will also have a PlayBook version available in App World.

http://www.thestar.com/business/article/1135748--playbook-s-new-operating-system-a-sneak-peek-at-bla...

Scott

Regular Contributor
My Device: all BB 7 (incl. prototypes)
My Carrier: MTS-Ukraine

Developer choices are listed here on their official site: https://bdsc.webapps.blackberry.com/devzone/platforms

As usual when dealing with RIM, it is misleading in a hostile way. The only way to know that legacy Java is not supported on PlayBook is that a small, hardly visible icon of a tablet is missing under its description. Basically, HTML is the only platform that they support both on PlayBook and on phones -- meanwhile they create the illusion that you have a wide range of option to choose from; see their original press release and compare it with reality: http://press.rim.com/release.jsp?id=4935

Highlighted
Developer

that's not 100% true - you can create app that shares 90% of it's codebase between BB os6/7 and Android 2.3 (available on playbooks). But of cause you have to
1) keep language level on java 1.2 (because of restrictions of j2me on bb os 6 and 7)
2) use something like MVC pattern (model-view-controller) to split view from other pars of apps.
3) keep 2 copies of images or other visual resources due to different screen sizes

BTW, android and RIM's visual component model (event threading and so on) is very close

at the moment my main concern is absence of in-app purchases in QNX android player