Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
simon_hain
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport

Re: DevCon update: BB-Java is dead, no java support for QNX

well, there was a bb java runtime in a closed beta, as rumors say, but it was killed without any public statements about it.
If you talk to anybody from RIM about it most just point you to html5, some admit its a shame etc etc, but i did never get the impression that a java vm was planned.

Imo it would be much better to get a real java VM instead of BB java, but its quite a bit late for that...
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Developer
sblantipodi
My Device: Not Specified

Developer
darkberry

sblantipodi wrote:

JavaME world could became exciting.

http://terrencebarr.wordpress.com/2012/11/18/jsr-360-and-jsr-361-a-big-leap-for-java-me-8/

It's a bit too late for that, don't you think? JavaME is long dead. It's as dead as floppy disks and 56k modems. Oracle is killing JavaSE as well. I'd love to be wrong here, as I have spent so much time learning Java during these years, but I don't see it reborn as the phoenix.

And what kind of hardware would run the new JVM? I don't see Apple nor Google buying the license. RIM is out of the question. Classic Nokia keypad phones maybe?

Developer
avinash_kumar_ispg_in
My Device: 8520 curve

Hi

any new conclusion....:smileyhappy:

Developer
sblantipodi

avinash_kumar_ispg_in wrote:

Hi

any new conclusion....:smileyhappy:

Yes, RIM is sinking. They are advertising "port your app to BB10" but they broked the payment method.

There is now payment API documentation for android runtime.

I have spent hours trying to understand the new payment method and I realized that they don't even know how android android users should pay.
RIM is a two cent company today.

Developer
br14

I've switched to BB10 development using Cascades. Cascades fixes the long time UI development issue with BB Java. It's a revelation.

QNX has always had a JVM. So makes you wonder why it isn't available on the Playbook and BB10. Or rather it doesn't.

Whatever bilge RIM spouts this was always about Oracles ridiculous licensing demands. 

Java is dead. Google and Oracle are both equally guilty. Pity because I hate C++ syntax. Cascades on Java would have been mindblowingly good.

Developer
peter_strange

[ Edited ]

"Cascades on Java would have been mindblowingly good"  Agreed.

And I agree in general with your points about Cascades and development - see here:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Java-Development/BB10-Development-Jump-in-the-water-s-warm/m-...

Developer
superdirt

I don't see why Java should be used on large mobile platforms. What makes the JVM a useful product to support is the notion of compile once, run everywhere - in other words, you want one program to run on multiple operating systems. However, RIM has total control over the operating system, so putting a JVM on top of it is a needless layer of computation.

I believe this is why you will see dual core Android devices that can't move a full screen image at 30 fps.
Developer
darkberry

superdirt wrote:

I believe this is why you will see dual core Android devices that can't move a full screen image at 30 fps.

Modern interpreted languages, specially when using JIT compilation, can be almost as fast as native ones. Unless you are coding a videogame or something like that, usually you don't want to trade performance for portability. Look at two of the most modern languages: C# uses its CLR and it is a big success. Python also compiles to intermediate bytecode.
Just for your info, in Android you can also run native C code.
Both Apple and RIM are using old C-based languages just to save money on licenses. But IMHO both C++ and Objective-C are way out of date.
Developer
zac_mathews

I am terrified :Eek:

I have 4 years exp (2 years in BlackBerry Java RIM & 2 years in J2ME) and now both are Dead :Eek: .....
What I am going to do...
I will never ever work for BlackBerry.... :No:

I Thank You all those have supported and helped me ......

A message for those who are new to BlackBerry Never Trust BlackBerry .... This is the lesson I learned from my experience....