Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Z10 Red
My Carrier: Free

Re: DevCon update: BB-Java is dead, no java support for QNX

[ Edited ]

Ok, indeed I misunderstood you, sounds better this way.

About Android Runtime, even if it's only a player, it runs very well. Maybe because Playbook and BB10 alpha have both good hardware, but Android may not run under cheap devices. But if cheap devices continue to run under OS 7.1 it may not be problem.

About system integration, well why not going for a restart? Cascade seems nice :smileyhappy:

@

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Hithredin wrote:

@

Please read better, he spoke about hibernate and other framework, hibernate can only have sense with other technologies "JavaEE" oriented.

Developer

I insist he never spoke about Spring and Struts which does not have place in mobile dev.

But Hibernate have it's place. If you look at ContentProvider with SQLDataBase on Android,  they share some concept.

Maven has a place too, and lot of other libraries

Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

modern smartphones have the power of desktop computers of some years ago, why not use desktop java technologies.
i don't know that many j2se frameworks by heart, but hibernate just came to my mind as the persistence of bb-java triggered me to change the design of my application recenty.

JDBC instead of SQLLite would also make many things easier.

If Cascades would be available from a full java VM i would be quite happy :smileyhappy:
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Developer

[ Edited ]

Hithredin wrote:

I insist he never spoke about Spring and Struts which does not have place in mobile dev.

But Hibernate have it's place. If you look at ContentProvider with SQLDataBase on Android,  they share some concept.

Maven has a place too, and lot of other libraries

It's clear that you don't know what we are talking about, no problem, this is a discussion forum, we can inform you :smileyvery-happy:

Hibernate has less sense on mobile than Spring, and while hibernate does not exists on mobile spring exists.

http://www.springsource.org/spring-mobile

Maven is an alternative to ANT, but what is the point of talking about maven now?
Personally I can leave with ant as I leaved this years using it in my mobile experience.

I heavily think that all frameworks that concurr to the MVC Design Pattern has no sense on mobile, mobile app can do what they need without additional framework and when you feel that you need more control or more power, you need to delegate this job to the server side part.

Hibernate on mobiles is simply a non sense.

Sincerely the only framework that have sense on a mobile (android copied it) is the Java Collection Framework.

JavaSE will be good for all, starting from the math package to the collections to the possibility of importing java libraries like the apache encryption one for example, but please leave the MVC Server Side framework alone :smileyhappy:

Programming servers on MVC frameworks is what I do to eat, from the low level (hibernate) to the presentation layer, sincerely I can't really imagine how this HEAVY framework can have sense on a mobile and how can help you doing things. JDBC may have sense but what is the sense of having a huge database on a mobile at the point that you need a persistence framework to help you doing things?

Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

I trust your experience sblantipodi, but as none of this will happen anytime soon it's all only idle talk.
back to my c++ course :smileywink:
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Developer

Android is the way to go, I should admit it.

We wrote webservices on the server side, we wrote the client web services in "Pure Java" and included that services in the Android apk as is, this is the power of JavaSE on mobiles imho.

Developer

simon_hain wrote:
I trust your experience sblantipodi, but as none of this will happen anytime soon it's all only idle talk.
back to my c++ course :smileywink:

You are welcome simon, it's simply a pleasure to talk with you, I'm sorry for the "power" of my talking, I don't want to be rude in my thinking but sometimes it happen :smileyvery-happy:

C++ the language of the gods... I hate is as much as I respect it.

Developer

Not sure about my english with this expression "that concurr to the MVC Design Pattern"

Does it means MVC has no sense on mobile for you?

There is sense in having huge database in mobile, not every application are WebService connected. Ok for hibernate not being a good idea, I was not defending this particular framework. Personnaly I even prefer good all SQL queries / response parsing, but people may find use of it.

And please, put less "power" in your talking :smileyhappy:

Developer

Hithredin wrote:

And please, put less "power" in your talking :smileyhappy:

Ok you are right, I'm sorry :smileyhappy:

Hithredin wrote:

Not sure about my english with this expression "that concurr to the MVC Design Pattern"

Does it means MVC has no sense on mobile for you?

There is sense in having huge database in mobile, not every application are WebService connected. Ok for hibernate not being a good idea, I was not defending this particular framework. Personnaly I even prefer good all SQL queries / response parsing, but people may find use of it.

MVC is really important on mobiles as much as it is important on servers but every decent platform today has it's own way to do MVC without the needs of an additional heavy framework. This is only my hopinion, nothing more but differently from the JavaSE/JavaEE world in mobile ecosystem you can do MVC with the integrated "tools".

On android for exampe you can have some sort of MVC without addition, you have the xml file to describe the "action" (AndroidManifest.xml), a java file to implements the controller (Activity) and a javaSE layer to implements the model.