Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
ixafei
My Device: Not Specified

Develop a new input method

I would like to develop an input method so I can input chinese character faster,Is there any one who can give some tips?it will be great if you can tell me the structure of how to develop a new input method for blackberry.any tips will be good.thanks so much~

Please use plain text.
New Developer
ixafei

Re: Develop a new input method

I wonder wether RIM already open this part of api or not.

thanks alot

Please use plain text.
Developer
marchywka

Do you have any links you could post on existing technologies or at least the structure of the alphabet?

I'd been curious about this but AFAIK RIM's opinion is you can just do it all with localized resource bundles.

I'd always considered the tractable alphabet to be an important step in information processing technology, I'd be curious to see what you can do with a much larger one or if it can be reorganized some way.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
ixafei

what I know is that some people already develop some chinese input method which people can use it for fasting input for many kinds of mobile os.

and I also know how to convert english character into chinese character.

I am not so familiar with RIM's api,so I just want to know which api should I use for this proj.

thanks

Please use plain text.
Developer
marchywka

Unless RIM happens to have a canned API that does exactly what you need, and based on some questions here regarding fonts it doesn't seem likely, you may get a more helpful response if you can provide some remedial material on your objectives, stated as generally as possible, some links to thinks that almost work or meaningful negative

results that nothing is available etc.

With fonts anyway, for example, I have scripts to generate bitmaps and some code for algorithmic drawing that

may be of help. If you can identify a source of character images and have a font format, it may be quite trivial

to write a code generator with a bash script. If you absolutely need a canned solution of course this won't help.

As of the most recent JDE that i have on my machine, these are the only rim classes that mention "chinese"

$ grep -il chinese *.txt
device.api.crypto.RSAPrivateKey.txt
device.api.i18n.Locale.txt
device.api.system.SMSPacketHeader.txt
device.api.system.SMSParameters.txt
device.api.ui.Font.txt
device.api.ui.component.TextField.txt

$ grep -il "complex input" *.txt
device.api.ui.component.TextField.txt

I am reminded of the importance of a short alphabet for data manipulation :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
New Developer
ixafei

ok,thanks,

I will give a detail documentation as much as I can.

thanks again~

Please use plain text.