Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
smiley
My Device: Z10

Re: Developer Tools Hit Gold Status

What is the diff from the first JDE 5.0 release?

I notice the file name for 5.0 is the same as the first pre-release but the current version is dated 3-31-2010

Please use plain text.
Developer
filiussoft
My Device: Bold

I haven't figured out how to use the Hot Swap with the new 5.0 JDE.

In Eclipse on the other hand it works like a charm though.  :smileyhappy:

I used to always debug with the JDE because I'm on a Windows 7 64bit BUT I can say that it works great with the new plugin (1.1.2) including the hot swap. It might not be supported but it works!

I used the Eclipse updater to update the plugin and component pack. 

Excellent job, RIM!

----
If this helped you, press the thumbs up button (on the far right - '+' thumb icon)
If this post solved the issue, click "Accept as Solution"
Please use plain text.
Developer
austinfrance
My Device: Not Specified

> the Release Notes said that you needed to update the pointer to 5.0.0.25 to use the new pack

Ok so at least I did that part correctly :smileyhappy:

I have got the simulator to run now (weirdly without any errors at all, not even the missing debug info one). I tried Clean Simulator from the blackberry menu but that doesn't appear to do anything. So I went to \plugins\net.rim.ejde.componentpack5.0.0_5.0.0.25\components\simulator and double clicked clean.bat and let it do its stuff, now the simulator is working.

Please use plain text.
Developer
austinfrance

Any guide on how to use hot-swap? Do you need to run the simulator separately and connect to existing simulator?
Please use plain text.
Developer
filiussoft
My Device: Bold

In Eclipse, leave the simulator running, change some code, and then click on the debug button again (or select the debugger setting that you are currently running).

It should show a Packaging Dialog and you will see in the Simulator how the debugger reattaches.

I dont know for sure but I think this is how it works. It only takes seconds though to switch out the build and the simulator is not closed in between.

I hope this helps. 

----
If this helped you, press the thumbs up button (on the far right - '+' thumb icon)
If this post solved the issue, click "Accept as Solution"
Please use plain text.
Developer
austinfrance

Oh I see. It's the same as compile and continue in Microsoft tools. Good, that will be a great help given it takes several minutes to launch the simulator (longer on first run and usually fails).
Please use plain text.
Developer
JCarty
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9650/BlackBerry Torch 9800

[ Edited ]

Another noticable and great change is Preprocessor flags that are predefined based on which SDK you pick.

I removed all my flags that indicated which OS version I was targetting and am now using this exclusively and it works great.

The flags are below (flags only applicable if you have each version of the SDK installed):

BlackBerrySDK4.5.0

BlackBerrySDK4.6.0

BlackBerrySDK4.6.1

BlackBerrySDK4.7.0

BlackBerrySDK4.5.0

So no need to go into your XML descriptor to edit your preprocessor flags (or project properties for the 1.0 folks). If you use the above, when you target a new OS, your code will preprocess based on the flags set.

Cool feature that I was hoping would make it in.

Jerome Carty - Follow jcarty on Twitter@jcarty | #webworks-dev / #BlackberryDev on irc.freenode.net | My Apps
Click "Accept as Solution" if post solved your original issue.. Give like/thumbs up if you feel post is helpful
Please use plain text.
Developer
rcmaniac25
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.2.1.3253, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.1.634 Dev OS, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.1.634 Dev OS, Passport (SQW100-1)-10.3.0.1418, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917

@austin: In the release notes it also says that if you upgrade the plugin from Eclipse the clean simulator button will not work.

---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.
Please use plain text.
Developer
mohitsharma
My Device: Blackberry Torch

i tried plugin with windows 7 but it dont works :smileysad: .

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark posts as solved if you found a solution. Press the kudos button to thank the user who helped you.
Please use plain text.
Developer
austinfrance

@rcmaniac25 - interestingly the release notes also say the workaround is to manually select the correct JRE by editing the existing one and pointing it at 5.0.0.25, which is what I did, but the clean option still does not work. Oh well at least I know I can run it manually, should I need to.
Please use plain text.