Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Developing J2ME applications for Blackberry

Hi,
I am pretty new to blackberry application development. I am posting my application details for your valuable advices.

I have a restaurant website. The functionality of that site is searching for food items(in a particular hotel) and ordering it through the site. I am developing a stand alone version which can be installed on the blackberry device. Users registered with the web version can use the stand alone blackberry version, with the same authentication details as of the web version.

The question I would like to ask is
1) What all softwares I need to have for (a)developing the application (b)how do I add the application on a real device?

The question would be much more simple if I give a simple sample scenario-- I need to develop a stand alone application which will contain a Login Screen.Once I give the username and password, I need to perform a validation check with the database and go to a welcome screen. Please remember that I am talking about a stand alone application and not any web page. How should I proceed? Can you kindly mention the steps I need to take, like what all tools I need to have for this in the development phase.

Also, once I finish developing this ,how do I add the application on a real device and make it work, so that by sitting anywhere around the globe, I can login to the welcome screen.Do I need to have any tools for this?

The application will have no connection with the BB messaging system.
Thanks in advance for all the valuable help and comments.

Anees
Developer

Re: Developing J2ME applications for Blackberry

Welcome, aneesagamedaa. I'm new to blackberry development, and new to Java for that matter. It's a different world from my usual C# environment!

For what its worth, it sounds like you need to have

* A copy of the JDE for developing your app.

* A blackberry simulator

* Some sort of a web service to handle authentication and data.

* Some means of generating proxy classes from your webservice.

As to deployment, I'd check out the development / deployment videos that Blackberry has. They're like 10 minutes long and are straight to the point.

Good luck to you!

(Anyone with more experience have anything to add?)

Developer

You just need to download the applicable JDE from RIM and purchase signature keys from RIM for ca. $20 USD.

I use scripts in cygwin to automate building and deployment. 

It would help

if you have a server from which people can download your stuff too. I'm not sure why you are avoiding the need

for a web site. Presumably your app needs to talk to something and Apache is quite versatile. Note that

you can do most of this for essentially no cost with Apache and supporting things( I had to look this up since I couldn't remember

the acronym),

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LAMP_stack

We've got some stuff that may be interesting,

http://www.phluant.com

http://www.spottext.com

I'm actually trying to collect points-of-interest. If you have several restaurants and can get GPS coordinates, I can

add them to these for example [ note: THESE ARE NOT PRODUCTS and only intended as developmental ideas ]

if you want to play around with parameters here to see what I'm starting with, 

http://www.spottext.com/launcher/db/loc.cfm?action=find&longitude=-81.46277&latitude=33.4375&dimo=.2...

or location to post-office ( aka city ) conversion ( best candidates, I don't have delivery area perimeters),

http://www.spottext.com/launcher/db/zip.cfm?action=find&longitude=-81.46277&latitude=33.4375&dimo=.2...

New Developer

Many thanks jipock and marchywka,

I got a vague idea from your precious comments. I will post my doubts regarding this and my understanding regarding development phase.

I will develop the code using JDE .I load this Java code into the simulator. I will have a database(say MS SQL Server or Oracle) installed in my computer. When I run the code in the simulator, the code will communicate with the database with the help of a web server(say Apache tomcat).

This is my idea regarding development. If I am incorrect somewhere in the explanation given above, kindly correct me. Also, please tell if there is anymore components other than JDE, simulator, Database and Webserver, which I need to use during the development phase.

Developer

From the nature of your questions I take it you are running Windoze(LOL). I would suggest cygwin and some network tools

or packet capture. You need Sun JDK for servlets but you may as well get this with JRE for RIM JDE tools too.