Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
brsengar
My Device: BB 9105
My Carrier: Vodafone
Accepted Solution

Development environment for Blackberry 10

Hi,

I would like to ask experts if we can write BB10 applications in Java? I know we can port android APK file to run on BB10 but if I have an application already running on BB 5/6/7, would it be possible to port it to BB10 or I have to write it in native C++.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Brsengar

Please use plain text.
Developer
simon_hain
My Device: Z10 LE
My Carrier: O2 Germany

Re: Development environment for Blackberry 10

no, this is not possible.
according to rumors, there was a "bb java player" in beta stage, but it was scrapped due to performance issues and possibly numerous other reasons, like license issues.

you can use html5 to get an app on both platforms, but we decided to "go native" and use c++/qt/cascades.
another option would be air, but if you are going to learn something new i would rather suggest the other two approaches.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Please use plain text.
Developer
brsengar

Thanks for reply Simon. 

Our applications (I have two and they interact with eachother using IPC) uses Telephony/ Sms/Wifi/Gps/Bluetooth services so I think I have no choice other than going for c++/qt/cascades option. I think I cannot do these things with other available options such as html5/AIR etc..

Regards

Brsengar

Please use plain text.
Developer
simon_hain

the html5 "people" say you can do anything, but that usually means writing native extensions :smileyhappy:

It took me some time to get used to it, but i am now feeling productive in c++/Qt/Cascades - if my DevAlpha would boot up...
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
@SimonHain on twitter
Please use plain text.
Developer
brsengar

Hi Simon,
Though it is a new question and I have posted it in Native development forum as well, but thought you can give me a quick answer for my couple of questions:
1. Does BB-10 supports background process, as per my initial search, the answer is NO?
2. Can I start an application at device boot up time on BB-10?

Thanks
Please use plain text.
Developer
simon_hain

1. not yet, it is planned for later. there are a lot of system calls that you can register to though, for example a recevied push starts your app.
2. i am not sure, but i think no, i guess as you don't have a background process yet its not available at launch.
@SimonHain on twitter
Please use plain text.