Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Contributor
himen
My Device: 9700
My Carrier: vodafone
Accepted Solution

Development on an unlocked phone without having a service from mobile company

[ Edited ]

I am currently locked with a black berry plan but want to start development on Windows Phone 7. Obviously I can test my app with emulators but other option is to buy an unlocked phone. My question is that if I buy an unlocked phone and don't get any service from a mobile phone company, will I be able to connect to my WiFi and test things like location based feature of my program ( like list of local resturants)? Are there any things that I will not be able to test unless get a service from mobile phone company?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ketan_patel25
My Device: 9700
My Carrier: Idea

Re: Development on an unlocked phone without having a service from mobile company

I've developed several apps now without putting a SIM card in the phone - so you can do it. You just need to be careful with:

a false sense of speed - wifi is much faster and more reliable than 3G.
a lack of testing for "real phone interruptions" - e.g. notifications of incoming calls, SMS messages, etc

As a first step, you can also develop on the emulator with no phone at all - but additional things are missing there (GPS, accelerometer) and certain things are slightly different again (e.g. resources load faster, the screen sometimes draws faster)
Please use plain text.