Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
arunsingh
My Device: Not Specified

Device Database Support

Hi all,

I am new to Blackberry Java development and I am using Blackberry JDE 4.6 for the same. I am developing an application that requires to maintain a database of its own on the device itself.

So far, I am unable to find any help. Is there any database available for Blackberry device. If yes, which APIs (in Java) are provided for their manipulation ?

Thanks

- Arun

Please use plain text.
Developer
marchywka

Re: Device Database Support

This has come up a few time recently, you should be able to find the thread with search.

Usually no one replies when I ask why you would do this? Would you mind elaborating on your

requirements just out of curiousity? Sure, I'd like to help but I have to confess I just don't understand

exactly what people expect to do with a local database on a device with such constraints? Sure, I imagine

looking ahead a bit but still remote databases using the phone for some caching may make sense but

running a full local database sounds like overkill. Do you often have desktop client-side local databases?

Please use plain text.
Developer
arunsingh

Hi,

First of all, thanks for the instant reply. The reason for why do I wish to have a local database on the device is that my application would be dealing with a considerable huge amount of data. And this data will be used repeatitively again and again. For example, my application would be having a module which will create and save profiles for a large number of people. Similarly, other modules would also be requiring to have some or the other sort of information to be saved on the device. And this information will be required to be manipulated in a number of ways.

I, therefore, would wish to have a database so that I can manipulate this data as per my requirements.

I hope I made myself a bit more clear now.

Thanks

- Arun

Please use plain text.
Developer
marchywka

So, your end user will be composing sql queries to a local database of ( say ) singles profiles while driving?

I guess I'm not sure of the need for the local cache but in any case, if you have predictable access

methods you can build a few indicies pretty easily. I think someone earlier discussed problems with searching

through the contact list as apparently this is not indexed or entered into anything resembling a database.

RIM does provide some array sorting classes that you may want to consider for building indicies if you can't

find a DB port to your liking.

Please use plain text.
Developer
arunsingh

The point is not why do I want a local database on device, the point is how (if possible) can I have a device database ? And what are the ways to connect to it and manipulate the data ?

I would really appreciate any help on this topic.

Thanks

- Arun

Please use plain text.
Developer
marchywka

As I mentioned at the start, this has come up a couple of times recently and if you search the forum

you will find the threads of interest,

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=site%3Ablackberry.com+dat...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=site%3Asupportforums.blackberry.com+database

However, there are two related issues. Often, you see people ask things like " how do I do this thing that really doesn't make sense?" when they are really asking how to do something inappropriate and have attempted to ask the wrong question. I was happy to answer your question as posed but thought it may not be the right question, even if many people continue to ask it. Further, I run into this on my desktop all the time- from Flash designers to whoever wrote

Acrobat- you see all kinds of things that you just know are due to people taking wasteful approaches to some task. It seems that this could be an issue with people who just expect to move an airline reservation system to a blackberry.

Please use plain text.
Developer
marchywka

Please use plain text.