Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
siva_guduru
My Device: Not Specified

Device Database

HI, Just want to know if there is anyway we can access device database and see what are all the tables and their structures for different tables in a device or is there any article describing the names of databases available in device, i have got one article at http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB03974&sliceId=SAL_Pub... but i am not sure if the names mentioned there are the exactly the same ones in the device or is htere some other names for all these databases internally. Is it true that RIM uses RMS concept as database for storing info Thanks & Regards, Siva Charan Guduru
Please use plain text.
New Developer
siva_guduru

Re: Device Database

Mark, please save me by prviding some information :smileysurprised:

Please use plain text.
New Developer
siva_guduru

Any information regarding this is appreciated pls pls pls :smileyindifferent:

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange

I'm not clear on what you are asking for.  Can you review the following and clarify please?  What do want to know and how are you planning on using this information?

If you are asking if RIM will give you access to their internal 'databases' that they use to retain information for the various apps on the device, I suspect you are wasting your time.  Most of this sort of information is available on the device anyway through the various APIs.  These databases are not directly accessible via any other methods that I am aware of.

Regarding actual databases, remember that there are these methods of storing data on a BlackBerry device:

a) Persistentstore

b) RMS

c) FileConnection API (i.e. SD Card and the like)

I understand that the RIM "databases" are all stored in Persistentstore. 

Please use plain text.
New Developer
siva_guduru

Actually, i am doing an R&D where in i am looking to back up device information just like desktop manager does, so just whated to know if at all my module has to snc with device then which databases can we refer to take back up of all contacts, clender entreis etc of the device. Is there any specific RMS or any other record sore that we need to access to get these information, other than those normal API's

Thanks & Regards,

Siva Charan Guduru

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange

Can you please confirm that you are writing code that will run on a Desktop?

Please use plain text.
New Developer
siva_guduru

Exactly Yes, i am.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
siva_guduru

Can anyone help me reagrding this info

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

While you can expose your own data on a BlackBerry Smartphone to be backed up and restored using Desktop Manager, there are no PC side APIs that allow direct access to this information from a PC.

As Peter has mentioned, there are various APIs on the BlackBerry Smartphone itself that allows a device side application to access this information (email, contacts, etc...).

We have published information on the IPD file format that Desktop Manager uses to save this information on the PC side.  You can view it here:

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/devjournals/resources/journals/jan_2006/ipd_file_format.jsp

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
Developer
sheeluwiki
My Device: simulator
My Carrier: simulator

I have a similar requirement except for the fact that I need everything to be done only using the blackberry client and not desktop..

My actual requirement is to  back up the E-Mail , contacts and password keeper database into SD card and then after formatting the device I need to restore these back up data from the SD card..

Please share some ideas on accessing the internal database data and storing as IPD file and retrieving it back..

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Click "Accept as Solution" if post was what you needed. Give kudos if you feel response is helpful.

Please use plain text.