Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: torch
Accepted Solution

Device home screen as my app background screen

Hi All

I need to show device homescreen as my app background screen. What would be the best procedure to follow ?

Does it possible to take snapshot of device homescreen when we launch the app(third party application) using default camera.

Or any other suggestion because I need to show the device home screen as my applicationscreen's background.

Developer
My Device: Storm 9550

Re: Device home screen as my app background screen

Other way can to use make the MainScreen transparent. But if some other application is running behind, home screen won't be shown.
New Developer

Hi

Thanks for your replay

I may need to be more explanative in this. When a launch my application, a starting screen will be like jacket zip, when I unzipping programatically, I need to show the device homepage as my screens(jacket zip screens) background image.

As my knowledge, once if we start any third party application,  we can't see the device home screen unless we close it.  Then no way to show the device home page as my background/transparant screen. For this we may need to get the snap shot of homescreen when we launch the app and should be used as backgroundtransparant.

Even I don't know how to get the snapshot of devicehomepage using camera.

If you could explain how to do this, would be nice for me.

Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport

a mainscreen cannot be made transparent, or more exact, an uiapplication cannot be transparent, it always has a white background.

you could either make a screenshot of the homescreen and use that as a background, or use an application with a global screen.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
New Developer

Thanks Simon !

Can you be more explanative like, how to get the snapshot of homescreen using same device camera ? (small code snippet if possible).

or

you want to me to make may app screen as GlobalScreen ? if so, then my device screen is visible as background ?

Please help me.

Developer

you can use http://www.blackberry.com/developers/docs/7.1.0api/net/rim/device/api/system/Display.html#screenshot... to make a screenshot. Of course you have to put your app into the background first, otherwise you get your own app :smileyhappy:

if you use Application and a global screen you can set this to transparent. This approach has other drawbacks, for example that the screen is global to start with.
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
@SimonHain on twitter
New Developer

Thanks alot

Its means, if write the Display.screenshot(Bitmap bitmap) in starting screen, I can carry this image to any stage in my application. As long as my application runs, I can use this as background. Then, I need not to run my app in background. is it right ? if not so, please give more explanation in this.

Once again Thanks a lot.

Developer

yes.
you have to decide if you want it synced (for example, take a new screenshot whenever your app is activated).
@SimonHain on twitter