Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
sheran
My Device: Blackberry 9000 - Bold
Accepted Solution

Device rebooting on Garbage Collect

Hello,

I have created an app that does the following:

1. Read an email address from a BasicEditField that an end-user will input.
  2. Convert said String into a net.rim.blackberry.api.mail.Address object
  3. Persist the Address object by doing a synchronized commit
  4. Read the same persistent object at timed intervals and use it to send email.

I am able to save the email address to the PersistentStore.  When I then leave my app running (for the timed email dispatch) the device reboots.  After a reboot, the device remains stable and emails go out as they are supposed to.

I am now able to replicate this exact behavior if I first enter the email address, persist it and then call a Thorough GC (Garbage Collect).  As soon as I do this, the device reboots.  As an FYI, I have also done a forceCommit() rather than a commit() and there was no difference.

I've tested on the following physical devices: 

Bold 9700 - v5.0.0.862 (Bundle 1446, Platform 5.1.0.175)

Torch 9800 - v6.0.0.246 (Bundle 695, Platform 6.4.0.150)

The same behavior is exhibited in both devices.

I don't suppose any of you have ever come across this?  I haven't been able to figure out why this is happening and it has been driving me nuts.  If you have seen behavior like this and have either figured it out or not, please do reply.  Thank you!

Chirashi Security
Please use plain text.
Developer
sheran
My Device: Blackberry 9000 - Bold

Re: Device rebooting on Garbage Collect

Imagine that... Address is not persistable.  Could have fooled me because on one or two occasions the program worked by reading the presisted Address object.  The behavior seems inconsistent.  I changed my Address object into a String and now all works well.

Chirashi Security
Please use plain text.