Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
dalef2005
My Device: Not Specified

Device restarts when updating application

Hi! I'm new to Blackberry development, and I was testing some simple apps when I found this issue.

Whenever I update a java application through the Desktop Manager, the device automatically goes through a full restart. Is this normal? Is there anyway I can avoid it?

Device: Blackberry Pearl 8100 (JDE 4.2)

Developing using Eclipse plug-in

Thanks in advance!

Please use plain text.
Developer
RexDoug

Re: Device restarts when updating application

If the application is running on the device, and/or it attaches to system resources (like listeners), then the device will restart.

Please use plain text.
Developer

If you install application on handheld thru desktop manager your handheld will get restart. You cannot avoid it.

Press the kudos button to thank the user who helped you.

If your problem was get solved then please mark the thread as "Accepted solution".

Deepesh Gupta
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange

I don't think Deepesh is correct, I think it is possible to upgrade applications with the Desktop Manager and not perform a restart.  However for complicated applications it is likely that something in the system will need to removed which can't happen in ordinary processing.  Same thing happens in Windows on updates too, so not just a BlackBerry problem.  See this KB article for further information.

What Is - The reason a reset is required when upgrading an application
Article Number: DB-00602

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/800332/800620/What_Is...

Please use plain text.
Developer
dalef2005

peter_strange wrote:

I don't think Deepesh is correct, I think it is possible to upgrade applications with the Desktop Manager and not perform a restart.  However for complicated applications it is likely that something in the system will need to removed which can't happen in ordinary processing.  Same thing happens in Windows on updates too, so not just a BlackBerry problem.  See this KB article for further information.

What Is - The reason a reset is required when upgrading an application
Article Number: DB-00602

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/800332/800620/What_Is...

The application I'm testing is a simple HelloWorld app, with a background image (also giving me headaches...)

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange

That should not require a restart, provided you have exited the application (using System.exit(0)), before attempting to update.
Please use plain text.
Developer
dalef2005

Now I'm using javaloader to deploy and it's much better. However, every once in a while the phone gets restarted. Will update you if I find out why.
Please use plain text.
Developer
dalef2005

Well I still haven't found a solution. This isn't happening to any of you? Using javaloader I get maybe 8 restarts of 10 updates...

(At the time of update all the apps are closed)

Please use plain text.
Developer
geeneeus
My Device: Bold 9700

If your app uses any Runtime API's its gona need to restart no matter what;

If your having to sign your app because it uses the Runtime API then the device WILL need a restart;

Genius Development Scotland
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange

Random thought.  Does your app use Persistent Store?  If so, I wonder if you need to restart if you change the structure of your persistent store object(s), because it uses the restart to delete the old (incompatible) persisted class(es).  Sorry, just a random thought.
Please use plain text.