Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
maratm
My Device: Not Specified

Different signing keys for minor application release for RIM AppWorld : Will it work or be rejected for version update ?

HI,

I have a question  regarding signing keys validity.

I submitted an application to RIM AppWorld, which has been developed by my sub-contractor.
This subcontractor has a different signature files .(I can not install his signature files on my computer).

The question is about updating an application .. Let's say I have a new release (minor updates release),but this release is signed by my keys , not of my subcontractor keys ..

Can I submit this release as update of previously submitted application (signed by my subcontractor keys) or from RIM AppWorld perspective this update can only go as a New Application , because of my (new) keys ?

Thank you,

Marat

Please use plain text.
Developer
RexDoug

Re: Different signing keys for minor application release for RIM AppWorld : Will it work or be rejected for version update ?

There is no technical reason why you cannot do this.

However, tis is an "App world" question, and should probably be asked on the appropriate forum.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
maratm

Re: Different signing keys for minor application release for RIM AppWorld : Will it work or be rejected for version update ?

Well .. for Android it's different :

..... make sure you
safeguard your keystore file! If you lose it and you can’t re-create it, you won’t be able to
update your application, and you’ll have to issue a whole new application instead ....

Please use plain text.
New Developer
maratm

Official response from RIM : 

BlackBerry PlayBook application updates *must* be signed using the same keys used to sign the original application or it will be seen as a new application altogether and will be unable to be linked to the original.

For BlackBerry smartphone applications the signature applied to the application is not used to differentiate, so updates can be signed by any signature keys without issue.

Please use plain text.
Developer
RexDoug

OK - please mark the thread "solved".

Please use plain text.