Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
salcyu
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Direct TCP APN question

Hello,

I have recently just created a blackberry application that consumes a web service using direct TCP using our carrier's APN. I found out the APN in this site: http://forums.pinstack.com/f24/tcp_apn_wap_gateway_and_port_carrier_settings-360/

However when I asked our carrier technical support, he doesnt seem to be aware of such an APN. So I'm just confused as to who is providing this APN. Is RIM the one who hosts direct TCP APN like they do with BIS? And it seems to be free since I did not apply for any such service before using it. Hope someone can enlighten me on this.

Thank you,
Sally
Please use plain text.
Developer
BBDeveloper

Re: Direct TCP APN question

APN settings will be provided by the carrier.

Use Search. "Accept Solution" If the problem is resolved.
Please use plain text.
New Developer
salcyu

I see. Just a follow-up question. 

Is there some sort of agreement between RIM and carrier to provide a Direct TCP connection service? Is it a requirement for the carrier to provide this? I guess I'm just wondering about the reliability of this connection option. Will it always be there as long as the carrier sells blackberry? I worry that if I sell a blackberry application that is built based on this connection, and suddenly the carrier doesnt support it, my application will become useless.

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange

I believe a number of carriers do not support Direct TCP.  See for example:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=java_dev&view=by_date_ascending&messa...

Also some of them assume all the traffic coming via this gateway is Browser traffic and they apply their optimization engines to the source to reduce the data sent on the network.  This will screw you up if you really wanted want was sent.

If you do both WAP and TCP, I think you will cover the majority of cases.  This will tell you how to do WAP 2, without any user involvement:

What Is - Different ways to make an HTTP or socket connection
Article Number: DB-00396
http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/800451/800563/What_Is...

Please use plain text.
Developer
Aviator168
My Device: 8520, 8900, 9000, 9300, 9650, 9700, 9780, 9800, 9810, 9900, 9930
My Carrier: Verizon

Hope you guys don't mind I jump in here. I am just wonder how the whole thing work. Here are my questions and I hope someone who is knowledgeable enough can shed some light one this.

1. For the phones to be able to communicate with any server on the internet, be it BES, BIS, or any thing, doesn't the carrier network have to provide an IP link to the internet?

2. If I want to be an internet service provider for, say AT&T mobile, do my equipments have to link up with their switches? 

3. If 2 is true, what is the general protocol between my equipment and theirs? ISDN, ATM, or something else?

Thanks in advance.

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange

Here are my guesses, sorry I don't know the answers here but no-one else has chipped in yet...

1. No.  The link is GPRS, EDGE, 3G or whatever other variant you have.  It is not IP.  It is a packet switching network, just not TCP.

2. Yes.  Your data will be routed on their network with whatever packet switching method your network uses.  It will pop out of their network at some gateway.  At this gateway you may be given a fake IP address, for example, you will if you use the carrier's WAP Browser.  But the packets that flow round AT&T's network will only traverse AT&T's network.

3.  See 1.

Hope that helps.

Please use plain text.