Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
KeniF
My Device: Not Specified

Direct TCP on BIS

Hi all,

I was using Direct TCP to connect and it worked fine. But as soon as my BIS was activated, I got disconnected (by Orange?) everytime I make a connection and I couldn't do Direct TCP anymore. On O2, people get a "Tunnel failed" message.

We were certain that it used to work at one point (about 4 months ago). Did anyone notice this change?

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange

Re: Direct TCP on BIS

"tunnel failed" could indicate incorrect APN settings.  Perhaps Orange have changed these.  Have you confirmed with Orange what the APN settings should be?

Please use plain text.
Developer

1. Are you still passing in the deviceside=true RIM-specific connection parameter?

2. Check the Event Log to see which APN the OS is trying to access when you attempt your connection. Look for net.rim.tunnel - Open-<APN> and net.rim.tunnel.STac-<APN> entries.

If you are still using the right APN (and not the blackberry.net APN) then you should contact your carrier to check whether your account is enabled for this APN. Some carriers disable Internet APN access once you have a BlackBerry data plan.

Please use plain text.
Developer
KeniF

No - Orange was just disconnecting me - as soon as I make a connection to a location (successfully), my connection is dropped

The APN settings were working right before my BIS was activated. I got a message saying there's an update to my service, restarted the device and bam, the same connection to the same server does not work anymore.

On O2, it's a different message - tunnel failed.

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange

I don't know what you mean by BIS Activiated.  Did you change data plan?  Does your new data plan not include direct TCP?

Please use plain text.
Developer
KeniF

sort of. I'm supposed to have BlackBerry unlimited data but Orange happened to have not activated my BIS. I called them and they activated it, leading to the above problem.

Please use plain text.