Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Contributor
j_davis_metova
My Device: Bold 9650
Accepted Solution

Does CarrierIQ run on BlackBerry devices?

Hello Everyone,

I'm reading reports this week on XDA Developers that rootkit software Carrier IQ is now running on BlackBerry devices. Has anyone confirmed this? Would this be a decision by RIM or by each carrier?

I'm asking because the data that Carrier IQ can reportedly collect may raise serious privacy concerns, especially functions like keylogging. 

Thanks

Source Article:

http://www.xda-developers.com/android/the-rootkit-of-all-evil-ciq/

Joe Davis
Developer | Metova
http://www.metova.com
Please use plain text.
Developer
rcmaniac25
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.2.1.3253, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.1.634 Dev OS, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.1.634 Dev OS, Passport (SQW100-1)-10.3.0.1418, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917

Re: Does CarrierIQ run on BlackBerry devices?

Based on http://ota.carrieriq.com/rim/, it seems like an app is available but given that it is a 3rd party app, you can remove it like any other app. RIM has stated, and various "partners" of RIM, have stated that there is no "partners only" SDK so if you can't access certain information, neither can they.

---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.
Please use plain text.
merlin1246
My Device: Bold - 9650

This is allegedly a "hidden" application.

How does one removed a hidden application?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
j_davis_metova

Hi merlin1246,

I have not yet seen any actual evidence that CarrierIQ is running on BlackBerry devices. If it is on the devices, I have no idea how to remove it. "Hidden" could mean a variety of different things and is dependent on the platform. The CarrierIQ BB app mentioned by a previous poster is just a normal 3rd party app... so if that is all we're talking about, it can be removed just like any other BB app.

However, I started the thread to see if anyone has any REAL evidence that this is running on BB devices. So let's stick with that for now.

Thanks

Joe Davis
Developer | Metova
Please use plain text.
Developer
simon_hain
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport

if you check your module list, either on the phone or with javaloader, you see all modules. a "hidden" application would be a system module, but still visible in the module list.

If carrierIQ is used depends on the provider. In Germany i would doubt that they use it, privacy laws are very strict here and violations can have serious consequences.

As you can download the app yourself from the link above you can find out something about it:
Name: IQAgent
Vendor: Carrier IQ
Description: Carrier IQ Service Quality Agent

See the jad file here:
http://ota.carrieriq.com/rim/beta/5.0.0/IQAgent.jad

if you install it from there the software is listed under applications.
In the code module list (javaloader -u dir >dir.txt) it is listed as:
IQAgent 1.0.24 1511268

I'll delete it from my device now, just wanted to check it out.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange
My Device: Not Specified

I tried installing it on a Simulator, seemed to do nothing at all but perhaps they have an 'if simulator' check.....

Please use plain text.
Contributor
j_davis_metova

simon: thanks for looking into it more. it looks like this is just a regular old 3rd party app.

peter: ...yes, i think you're right... i did a little decompiling and found this... :smileywink:

if( DeviceInfo.isSimulator() ) {

CarrierIQPrivacyIntruder.instance().quickHide();
     CarrierIQPrivacyLogger.instance().destroyTheEvidence();
     CarrierIQTrackYourLifeService.instance().iDidntDoIt();
}

... these guys should really improve their obfuscation.

Disclaimer: that was joke. I didn't decompile CarrierIQ. That is not real code. I made it up.

Joe Davis
Developer | Metova
Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook

[ Edited ]

RIM is aware of a recent claim by a security researcher that an application called “CarrierIQ” is installed on mobile devices from multiple vendors without the knowledge or consent of device users. RIM will continue to investigate reports and speculation related to CarrierIQ.

RIM can attest that it does not pre-install the CarrierIQ application on BlackBerry smartphones and has never done so. Furthermore, RIM does not authorize its carrier partners to install the CarrierIQ application on BlackBerry smartphones before sales or distribution and has never done so. RIM also did not develop or commission the development of the CarrierIQ application, nor is RIM involved in any way in the testing, promotion, or distribution of the CarrierIQ application.

If the CarrierIQ application is present on a BlackBerry smartphone, it does not mean that the CarrierIQ application has “hacked” the BlackBerry platform. It means that either the BlackBerry smartphone user or the user’s BlackBerry Enterprise Server admin explicitly installed the application and authorized it to run. The user or the user’s BlackBerry Enterprise Server admin has full control over which third-party software he or she installs on a BlackBerry smartphone. The BlackBerry smartphone is designed to prompt the user for consent to grant permissions to a third-party application.

All users (of any device from any manufacturer) should always avoid installing and granting permissions to applications from untrusted sources. This simple precaution mitigates the risk of malware or unwanted software being installed on a user’s mobile device.

For information on BlackBerry security, visit www.blackberry.com/security.

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
Contributor
j_davis_metova

Mark,

Thank you for your clarification. Glad to hear it.

Joe Davis
Developer | Metova
Please use plain text.
Developer
simon_hain
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport

Thanks a lot Mark for the official clarification.
Quite quick on RIM side, too. Are there press releases about that, too?
(and btw, your link is broken)
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Please use plain text.