Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
TobiasReaper
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Does a simulator effectively simulate all the limitations of a real device?

I have ported an application from IPhone to BlackBerry and it works awesome on the simulator.  One of the IPHONE developers said theother day "Wait till you get your application on the real device. That's when the heartache begins" and it stopped me dead in my tracks. The big question is, will it work fine in the real device too. Does the simulator has the processor, memory and all other limitations of a real device?

PS. Can't afford a real device, hence stuck with the blessed Simulators.

Cheers.

Please use plain text.
Developer
RexDoug

Re: Does a simulator effectively simulate all the limitations of a real device?

In my experience, the simulator does a fair job of emulating the user experience of the device. Keep in mind that your code will probably not even run on a real device without being signed.

The real "gotcha" when moving from sim to device is the network issue.  The simulator provides a very simplistic singfle-network environment, which is not at all representative of the real world.

I think if you look at the first 100 threads on the forum that say "works on sim, not on device", 97 of them will involve networking (the rest would probably be GPS).

Please use plain text.
Developer
rcmaniac25
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.2.1.2174, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.0.700 Dev OS, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.0.700 Dev OS, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: Verizon

To add on to what Rex said, the only other area that you might encounter (since you are doing a iPhone port) is the touch interaction.

The simulator accurately relay the event "order" but I have encountered some slight difficulties with an actual device (since you interact with it directly and not through a mouse obviously) but nothing that couldn't be recreated on the simulator... just slower.

---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.
Please use plain text.
Developer
StevenKader
My Device: Z10 LE
My Carrier: Rogers

Releasing an app that has only been run on the simulator would be very risky.  I recommend getting a second hand device to test the app.  If it is very simple you could ask someone to try it for you on a device.

Steven Kader at JaredCo
   Follow me on Twitter    |     Mipixi.com :  Web App for Photo Sharing
Please use plain text.
Developer
TobiasReaper

Thanks a lot for your replies guys. I guess the app will work fine on the device since I haven't used the network or the GPS APIs. Will definitely get it tested on a real device before deploying to the client. Fingers crossed.

It would be lovely if a few more of the gurus could offer their thoughts on the matter though.

Much obliged.

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange

Not sure I count as a guru, but happy to offer my thoughts.

Basically I agree with the previous replies you have had.

Not sure anyone has mentioned code signing and the various security/permissions prompts that you can get on a real device.  I would recommend you get the $20 signing key, even if you don't need it and sign your code.  There is a good video on the Security prompts that I recommend you review too.  And corporate users might never be able to run your app because of the security provisions in the company. 

Re performance, remember the Simulator is faster than the device.  Much faster.  The one that gets me is the time that it takes to render a page in the Browser.  I have not done much image manipulation but I suspect the same happens with it.

Re look and feel, the Storm has to be the biggest difference.  Remember you are using a mouse on the Simulator which is easy to point.  Scale the Simulator to life size and then try putting your fingers on the screen to see if your Fields are actually big enough.  And you will find the keys on the real QWERTY devices a bit different, and surprisingly, different between different models.

Getting the cod on the device takes a bit of thought. 

So a few other things, but the guys have already hit on the major ones.

Please use plain text.
Developer
TobiasReaper

Dear Peter,

Firstly let me assure you that you ARE a guru :smileyvery-happy:

Secondly, got them signing keys. Struggled with them in the beginning but got them working now. Atleast that's what the signature tool tells me.

Thirdly, I'd love to watch that video about the security prompts. Just wondering if the application permissions come in the security prompts category. Cuz i've noticed that if I do not give all the permissions to my app (Options -----> Applications -------> Edit Default Permissions -----> Allow all), accessing SQLite database results in a ControlledAccessException. And my app goes BOOM!

Nice point raised about the Simulator being faster than the real device. Heck, the simulator browser takes quite sometime to load the page, Lord knows what'll happen on the real device.

And thanks a lot for the last point you raised. About the Storm look and feel, cuz incidently the demo of my first app is on the Storm. I think i'll look into the GUI again. I assume I ought to give sufficient space between buttons and other fields so that people do not struggle with my app.

Lastly i'd like to say I love your responses. :smileyhappy:

Much Obliged.

Please use plain text.