Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
Kiran_Snist
My Device: Not Specified

Doubt in creating ota file for BB

Hi all,

We are trying to replicate the functionality of the BB app store by creating our own store where we are supposed to load the applications to a server and the user could download it from there by just a single click on a icon in our app, some thing similar to an app store. 

One big question that comes into picture is how can I convert the .cod and .jad files which are generated from Eclipse to OTA so that i user can download it in one single click??

Which files  im I supposed to upload to our own server???

Can some one guide me through some steps n links?? 

Thanks in advance!!

Developer
simon_hain
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport

Re: Doubt in creating ota file for BB

jad/cod is the combination used for OTA. You could open the address of the jad file in the BB browser to prompt an installation.
The webserver has to register the jad and cod filetypes, of course, and the jad and all sub-cods should be available in the same directory.

or you could just upload the cods and use codemodulemanager to install the downloaded cod file, this would not need a browser intermediate.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Developer
Kiran_Snist

[ Edited ]

Instead of browser Could we be able to download the application from a browser field???... As we are proposing a hybrid application to avoid the interaction of BB browser... 

One more doubt simon...

I have read that if the .cod file is more than 64kb then we need to unzip the .cod and save all the siblings into a single folder along with the jad.. What I have observed is in the web folder under deliverables.. we have all the individual cods instead of one singel cod.. So, can we just upload the web folder to the server to make our process easier..  instead of single jad and cod files n moreover checking the complete size of that one singel huge cod and unzipping it if required n so on...???

Please answer my questions.. 

Thank you!!

Developer
simon_hain

i don't know, you could try it by opening some jad file in the browserfield.

we are using http://www.blackberry.com/developers/docs/7.1.0api/net/rim/device/api/system/CodeModuleManager.html#...
for a similar application (like an enterprise app world for a company)
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
@SimonHain on twitter
Developer
Kiran_Snist

Having gone through some posts and discussions related to code module manager...I observer that we need to know the links of all the sibling cod files if they are more than one.. Is n't that in efficeint... Is there a way to download one single big cod files and unzip them from code and install it on device
Developer
simon_hain

the single cod is a standard zip file, you'll need a library to unpack it.
it should be not too difficult to get all the sub-cods though as they are numerated.
@SimonHain on twitter
Developer
peter_strange