Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
mobile_med
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Downloading email attachments - BIS vs. BES

I have one of the customer's devices at my desk - a 9330 running v6.0.0.524/Platform 4.4.0.438. I believe that the "Content Protection" on this device is under "Encryption" (please correct me if I am wrong). I do not see "Content Protection" anywhere else on the device or in the user manual for the device.  In any event, the Encryption panel has two sections - Device Memory and Media Card - neither of these have encryption turned on.

There is an option under Security to view the IT Policy - not sure if that would show everything that is on the BES or not. It shows one category "Disallowed Applications" - and indicates that there are no disallowed applications. There is an IT Policy Details button - but there are no policies listed.

We are still waiting to hear back on the IT Policies and Application Control Policies from the BES admin.

New Developer
mobile_med
My Device: Not Specified

I believe that I have solved the problem - lots of testing to go through now so I can not say for 100% certain.  It still makes no sense why BIS accounts worked on all platforms and all devices, and BES works on 4.5, 5.x devices - but not ALL 6.x/7.x devices. Very strange.

I changed the class to implement GlobalEventListener. I then pulled the functional processing code out of the messagesAdded event and replaced it with a call to PostGlobalEvent. The functional processing code that was in messagesAdded is now in eventOccurred method. Of course I also had to register the app as a GlobalEventListener.

Thanks for all the help you gave me and all the responses you give to all the developers on this forum!

BlackBerry Development Advisor
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Passport

The messagesAdded event actually fires within the Messages application's process, not your application.  So anything you do there is subject to the permission setting for the Messages application.

By moving that processing to your application by way of a GlobalEvent, the API calls are subject to the permissions configured for your application.

I don't have a reason for why you received the ControlledAccessException in the first place (IT Policy config is still at the top of my possibility list), but that is why the issue went away when you made this change.

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker