Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Contributor
jodyberna1
My Carrier: Vodafona

Dvorak (or just custom) input language

[ Edited ]

I'd like a dvorak keyboard layout on my Blackberry (Bold 9780). As this keyboard consist of regular Latin characters  i think it wont be very difficult to add an input language with this layout. Can this be made?

Also an option to make your own custom input language would do the trick, but i think this would be a relatively hard thing to code.

I am willing to participate in the development. However I do not know nothing about which language Blackberry OS is written. So I'd like some info, or links to info as i havent found anything useful on this website yet.

Please use plain text.
Developer
simon_hain
My Carrier: O2 Germany

Re: Dvorak (or just custom) input language

welcome to the support forums.

the BB OS is written mostly in C, but as a developer you can only use the java (or webworks) APIs.
There is no API that grants what you want, unfortunately it is not possible.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jodyberna1
My Carrier: Vodafona

FUUUUUU...

I cant image everybody at RIM is a qwerty user, but okay. Thanks anyhow, your answer is very clear and to the point.

But can I obtain the code for an input language (a Latin one) somehow or uncompile one I downloaded back to code?

Please use plain text.
Developer
simon_hain
My Carrier: O2 Germany

there is no OS-level access whatsoever.

RIM has a lot of different hardware layouts, just check the constants in http://www.blackberry.com/developers/docs/7.1.0api/net/rim/device/api/ui/Keypad.html
but there is no access at this level.

maybe it will be possible on BB 10, but non on BB-OS.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Please use plain text.