Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Blackberry Storm, Curve, Tour

Eclipse 3.4.1 debug Storm Device hover over variable disconnects

Hi Folks,

I am using Eclipse 3.4.1 Ganymede and debugging on a Storm 9530. Whenever I breakpoint and attempt to view a variable, especially a something like a Vector or FileConection variable , the device disconnects and I have to restart the debug session again. I have seen a flashing VMException message before the disconnect.  Very painful.

Is there a way to avoid this disconnection problem? 

Ken J Kelly
Developer

Re: Eclipse 3.4.1 debug Storm Device hover over variable disconnects

More info:

The problem does not happen when viewing simple variable. It happens when looking at variables like:  

httpParams.responseCode where httpParams is a class and the response value is valid .

Further, if I say "int val =  httpParams.responseCode", then I can look at val without error.

The error always disconnects abruptly and occasionally returns these messages while disconnecting:  

An internal error occurred during: "Label Job".
Got IOException from Virtual Machine

com.sun.jdi.VMDisconnectedException: Got IOException from Virtual Machine occurred while retrieving value.

I am using Eclipse 3.4.1, Blackberry software 4.7.0.46  and Java 1.6.0_12-B04.

Any ideas (except filling my code with extra variables just for debugging)?

Ken J Kelly
BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry Passport

I haven't been able to reproduce this.  Can you provide a code snippet that triggers this and a list of steps to trigger the exception? 

What version of BlackBerry Desktop Manager do you have installed?  What version of the BlackBerry USB driver do you have installed?  You can view this by connecting your BlackBerry to your PC over USB, opening the Windows device manager, expanding Universal Serial Bus Controllers, right clicking on BlackBerry Smartphone, selecting Properties and then clicking on the driver tab.

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Developer

Hi Marc,

Any code running on the device causes this.   Trying to view any object at a breakpoint causes this error.  I can view simple vars like long, int etc.  The Simulator works fine.  Here is the error from Eclipse: Is it possible that Java 1.6.0_14 is incompatible?

com.sun.jdi.VMDisconnectedException: Got IOException from Virtual Machine
 at org.eclipse.jdi.internal.connect.PacketSendManager.sendPacket(PacketSendManager.java:80)
 at org.eclipse.jdi.internal.MirrorImpl.requestVM(MirrorImpl.java:170)
 at org.eclipse.jdi.internal.MirrorImpl.requestVM(MirrorImpl.java:230)
 at org.eclipse.jdi.internal.VirtualMachineImpl.topLevelThreadGroups(VirtualMachineImpl.java:823)
 at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.debug.core.model.JDIDebugTarget.getRootThreadGroups(JDIDebugTarget.java:2390)
 at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.debug.ui.threadgroups.JavaThreadEventHandler.addPathToThread(JavaThreadEventHandler.java:102)
 at org.eclipse.debug.internal.ui.viewers.update.ThreadEventHandler.handleSuspend(ThreadEventHandler.java:68)
 at org.eclipse.debug.internal.ui.viewers.update.EventHandlerModelProxy.dispatchSuspend(EventHandlerModelProxy.java:193)
 at org.eclipse.debug.internal.ui.viewers.update.EventHandlerModelProxy.handleDebugEvents(EventHandlerModelProxy.java:135)
 at org.eclipse.debug.core.DebugPlugin$EventNotifier.run(DebugPlugin.java:1069)
 at org.eclipse.core.runtime.SafeRunner.run(SafeRunner.java:37)
 at org.eclipse.debug.core.DebugPlugin$EventNotifier.dispatch(DebugPlugin.java:1103)
 at org.eclipse.debug.core.DebugPlugin$EventDispatchJob.run(DebugPlugin.java:374)
 at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:55)

eclipse.buildId=M20090211-1700
java.version=1.6.0_14

RIM: C:\eclipseIDE\eclipse\plugins\net.rim.eide.componentpack4.7.0_4.7.0.46

net.rim.eide_1.0.0.67.jar

Ken J Kelly
New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Hi friends,

I am also getting same Exception befor dubbugging starting. Please help me for this problem.

When I run another project on another workspace, I can dubbugge that project successfully.

So please tell me what is the problem. I just want to know why this is happening.

Thanks,

Manesh

Developer

Sorry, I'm still living with this.  I can debug on the simulator with no problem at all. But, with a real device I can only view Variables in the Variables window and can not let my mouse go over any non-simple variable on the screen.

Marc asked about code, but I have about 350K in the current project.   I'll try a simple Hello World to assure that does  it too.

I have seen a few mention on the Web of this Same VMIO issue on other projects (non-Blackberry) without resolution, and I have totally reloaded Eclipse from scratch and assured I have the latest Java and Eclispe patches.  No go.

I've been coding since the early 70's with sticks and stones and fire (an an occasional wheel), so I make this situation work even thought it is a pain.

Ken J Kelly
New Contributor
My Device: Storm 2

I'm having the same issue.  Did you ever get a response to this?  I desparately need to be able to debug on the device.  I have a project that works 100% in the simulator but not on the device (in one area only) and I need to be able to look at the variable values while the running on the device.

Please someone from BB answer this.  I've been dealing with this for 3 weeks with absolutely no solution.

Developer

It's sad. I just finished an entire project for Aramark and never once tried to debug on a real device. I guess I got used to adding tons of Logging..

If I had to guess, I'd guess it has to do with the plugin or Eclipse getting into a strange state where it can not handle class's "to Strings", maybe the Eclipse Detail Formatter, because simple vars work.  I always meant to try this: take a class that I created where it always fails when hovering (like my httpParams class), and create a specific toString method.  See if that stops the choking.. 

Ken J Kelly
New Contributor
My Device: Storm 2

Don't bother with implementing your own toString method.  I already did that and it still does not work.  I'm surprised (actually not) that BB has not come up with a solution, or at least a response.

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

I'm very, very happy to find that it looks like this problem is fixed with BlackBerry Java Plug-in for Eclipse 1.3.0. I can now actually debug Bluetooth code on a device!!!

RIM: Thank you for fixing this!