Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Highlighted
New Developer
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9000
Accepted Solution

Eclipse 3.4 Plugin Installation Problems

I am following the most current installation instructions for an Eclipse JDE plug in (as of 8/8/2009).

When I run the plug installation process installation fails with following error:

An error occurred while collecting items to be installed

Error closing the output stream for net.rim.eide.componentpack4.2.1/osgi.bundle/4.2.1.17 on repository file:/C:/eclipse/. 

Error unzipping C:\Users\[protected]\AppData\Local\Temp\net.rim.eide.componentpack4.2.1_4.2.1.173366489745841048811.jar: Invalid zip file format

I have seen people reporting this information already, but I have not seen anyone responding with a solution: 

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=java_dev&message.id=37968#M37968

Please help,

Edmon 

New Developer
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9000

Re: Eclipse 3.4 Plugin Installation Problems

The only solution that I have found to work so far is:

- Start with Eclipse 3.4 installation from scratch, i.e. no previous components installed 

1. Download the standalone JDE plugin installer and install it from outiside of eclipse.

(as of 8/8/2009 this standalone JDE installer contains 4.5 component pack) 

2. Download component packs 4.6 and 4.7

3. From Eclipse software update install first 4.6 component pack and restart Eclipse

4. From Eclipse software update install 4.7 component pack and restart Eclipse

5. Configure your Blackberry Workspace to use 4.7 component packl 

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

I have been having problems getting 4.7 to show up as a component in Eclipse as well. 

I have Eclipse 3.4.1 with the JDE plugin installer running successfully, which for me seems to give me access to 4.5.   I now want to be able to switch between 4.5 and 4.7.  I had gotten 4.7 to install, and saw it on the list of installed software,  but, did not see it in the list of installed components under Preferences -> BlackBerry -> Installed Components.  Yes, I restarted Eclipse. So, I tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it.  Now I get the "Invalid zip file format" error mentioned earlier in this thread.   So, I figured I would try your magic recipe of installing 4.6 first.  I downloaded the component pack (this in itself took many attempts, the BB site seems intermittent at best).  I added the zip file to the Software Updates / Available Software tab, checked the boxes next to it.  Now, I am sitting at 5% done becuase the installer is trying to download net.rim.eide.componentpack4.6.0_4.6.0.19.jar.  But, that jarin the zip file I already downloaded!!!

What do I need to do to get 4.7 installed for Eclipse?  Why is Eclipse trying to download a jar that is in the zip file?

Getting the BB / Eclipse dev tools set up is a bit frustrating (that is an understatement).   Anyone have a recipe for doing all this from the command line?  That is, I am thinking of going back to good ol' vi and javac.  What do I need to do to build and deploy for the simulator from the command line?

Scott

New Developer

Another quick question.  Is Eclipse the preferred development environemtn for BB projects?

Scott

Developer

[ Edited ]

When I was installing the plug-in, I had this kind of problem because the download is so large and so slow that the zip files were getting corrupted.  Back then, the correct resolution was patience -- try, try again.

Edit: Checked my notes, and the answer wasn't patience, it was downloading the zip file, using the "archive" button of the installer's Add Site dialog to designate the zip file as an "update site", and installing from there.  Sorry, I guess I'd forgotton all the gory details.

ScottVickery wrote:

Another quick question.  Is Eclipse the preferred development environemtn for BB projects?

Scott

Seems to be a matter of personal preference.  One long-time user of both says he develops in one and builds in the other.  So YMMV, of course, but I like it for two reasons:

1. eclipse is familiar; I've been using it longer than I have been working on BlackBerry
  2. eclipse knows more about Java than I do (and certainly more about the BB API!)