Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: AT&T

Eclipse 3.5 Missing Blackberry SDK for 4.2

There is no SDK available for 4.2.x API via http://www.blackberry.com/go/eclipseUpdate/3.5/java Still have to support some older devices in the field such as the 8100 at this API. Is the lack of a 3.5 eclipse package for 4.2.1+ an oversight or intentional?
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Eclipse 3.5 Missing Blackberry SDK for 4.2

subscribe

New Contributor

These forums are worthless.

Developer

Please keep in mind that 99% of the people here don't work for RIM and can't answer your question (which is one I'm also interested in BTW).  I do hope that one of the super users has bumped this question up for an official RIM response, since it is both an important question and frequently asked.

In defense of the forum members, I must say I've been extremely pleased by the level of activity and expertise here.  I consider it an essential resource for BB development.

Jim

New Contributor

Yup, not a comment on the forum members/contributors at all.  I think it's great if developers can help each other out.

However, we might as well be on stackoverflow supporting each other if no developer relations/support staff are monitoring these forums for important questions only they can answer about their tools.

Developer

Shane, if you look at a previous thread, I started.  Which is an in depth discussion about this very topic.

A couple of developers had found a workaround to get 4.2 working on the new plugin, but it involves installing the old JDE and hacking about with the .ee file to point it at the JDE 4.2 plugin.  I seriously need this working for 4.3, but the same solution applies.

Originally, the RIM site had stated in it's technical requirements that the plugin supported 4.2, but I've noticed they have removed this recently, so they are aware there is a problem.  I suspect it's not at the top of their priority list.

I often rant and rave in these forums hoping someone in RIM will be reading them, but Jim is right, the majority of people here don't work for RIM.  The primary problem here is that RIM are not a software company, they are primarily a hardware company and don't have the same mentality as organisations like Apple, Google etc who promote strong support networks and create tools that make things easily accessible to developers.  Personally, I think RIM need a reality check, but I doubt they care being a corporation, not some small startup.

It's a bad situation and beyond referring you to a old post (click on my name and browse for previous topics), there isn't much help I can give you.  Even the solution that the two devs came up with strikes me as a bit of a hack (albeit a very good one that I wouldn't have had the patience to find out), but it does prove that the plugin can work with pre JDE 4.5 builds.

Anyway, your not in the minority here and all we can do is wait for this to get prioritised on their agenda.

Stephen Munro

New Contributor

Will take a look, sounds ugly.  Thanks.

Developer

As addedum to my previous post, I'd suggest replying to my older post and bumping it up as it's a long enough thread and outlines the problem and the fact a possible solution (hack) was found.  It must have something like 350 views so far, so it's a hot topic.