Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
ansani
My Device: 9000

Eclipse + JDE Plugin + Linux = a working environment !!!!!!

Hi guys,

for those interested on developing Blackberry apps on Linux, I finally setup a working environment on my Debian workstation using Eclipse 3.4.2, latest RIM JDE plugin (1.0.0.67) and 4.7 component (4.7.0.46).

It's possible to run any simulator, develop any kind of blackberry package and sign your .cod.

If someone is interested on a detailed guide, I setup  one on my blog whit all steps.

You need:

1) fresh wine installation (I currently use 1.1.15, not last revision but it works!!!)

2) from winetricks you need gdiplus (it's essentially for simulator) and msxml3 (for simulator too)

3) on wine, you need to install Sun JDK 1.6 (I used 1.6.0.12)

4) after installed JDK, you need to insert your jdk path on wine, otherwise you can't run rapc.exe

try

wine javac

to see if all was ok on JDK.

Now you can install  eclipse and RIM component (don't use update size because you can experience some issues with ssl, simply download .zip file and add archive on eclipse).

After you installed plugin and component, you need to restart eclipse.

After restart you see two dialog error. Simply ignore it (by now I don't know how solve this issue).

Now, you need to modify some path to use your environment correctly.

Go to eclipse_home/plugind/net.rim.ide..../components/bin

on all .rc file change "\" path with "/" (it's linux :smileywink:)

You need to leave ONLY unchanged the SimulatorDirectory line on Settings.rc (otherwise on first eclipse launch you got an endless loop)

go to  eclipse_home/plugind/net.rim.ide..../components/simulator/ and change path on SimPackage_JDE.rc

Now you have a working environment !!!!!!!!

Only few things to know:

1) on first emulator start you can deploy automagically your projects. You need to stop simulator and rerun again (it's just for frst execution. It's a path issue and by now I'm working to solve)

2) when you close IDE, you need to evert path on Settings.rc (SimulatorDirectory row to windows style)

3) you need to have your eclipse installation on your home directory (because RIM JDE don't work on .eclipse)

If you have any other fix or issue,

simply reply to this thread.

When  upload a detailed guide on my blog I'll update this post

Finally, please forgive my english :smileyhappy:

Regards and enjoy,

Salvatore Ansani (aka DoK)

Please use plain text.
Developer
bneeman
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Eclipse + JDE Plugin + Linux = a working environment !!!!!!

That's pretty neat! Do you have the debugger working as well?

I still fail at trying to get the debugger to work in IntelliJ (on Windows).

Cheers, Barak.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
ansani

Yes, debugger works ok, you can use all eclipse debbugging features.

I'm still trying to enable device debug (on windows all ok), because I need a JNI linux USB driver.

Regards,

Salvatore

Please use plain text.
Developer
dkonigs
My Device: Bold 9900

So basically you're running Eclipse under wine, and also tweaking a few related things?

I'm curious as to how well this really works, and if there are any hidden quirks.  (for example, sometimes I've found the simulator to not be 100% reliable in Wine, though a couple years ago it didn't work at all)

Right now BB development is one of the very few things I actually use Windows for, and an experience I'd like to have as unquirky as possible.  Would be even better if somehow the JNI hooks in the BB eclipse plugin could be made to use Wine, then only the simulator would have to run in Wine.  (or even better if the simulator were just ported by RIM)

Please use plain text.
New Developer
ansani

Not, I run Eclipse and all JDE components natively on Linux (not on an emulated environment).

I spawn a wine session *ONLY* for rapc.exe and fledge.exe (compilation and simulator launching).

All seems  to works ok. I currently use this environment to code my BB application and to test on emulators (currently I tested successfully on wine last revision of 9500 9530 8810 8330 8300).

The only thing I've faults running it's attaching eclipse to real device, because I need RIMUsbJni.dll extension running (but I'm invetigating on it).

Regards,

Salvatore

Please use plain text.
Developer
dkonigs
My Device: Bold 9900

Ahh...  You know RAPC.exe is really just a wrapper for RAPC.jar :-)  "fledge.exe" is the only part that really does require Wine.  (however RIM still has some lurking hard-coded backslashes in the resource-file generation bits of rapc.jar,which you'll only run into if you try to internationalize your app.  You can fix this using the same don't-tell-RIM techniques people have used to get the signature tool working on Linux.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
ansani

Regarding signature tool, now signature.jar run smoothly on Eclipse. I just changed the .exe to a .sh bash script and changed the javaw.exe on Settings.rc with java, so I don't need WINE to run it.

About rapc.exe, I see all internal calls it does because I'm using WINE. I don't known, now, if it's possible to change the rapc.exe requirements on eclipse, but I'm playing a lot with .rc files :smileywink:

Fledge.exe it' a wrapper too. It's possible to change with an "alternative". The only real problematic thing is Jvm.dll that fledge.exe use to run simulator :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Developer
Developer
arv
My Device: 9700

Hi Ansani,

thanks for your tricks!

i try your trick on macosx 10.5,

then i stuck on Popup message after restarting Eclipse.

I can't click the button on that pop-up error.

(popup can not find RIMIDEWin32Util.dll)

how to skip the popup button?

(you said that we can ignore the popups)

this is my specification:

- macosx 10.5 with Java 1.6.0 u7

- eclipse-jee-ganymede-SR2-macosx-carbon and eclipse-SDK-3.4.2-macosx-carbon

- eJDE1.0.0.67_With_CP4.5.0.16

anyone success on macosx?

--
"Give kudos (star) if you feel response is helpful"
Please use plain text.
New Developer
joeestes86
My Device: Not Specified

How do you install the JDE plugin on Mac OS X?  Is this possible?
Please use plain text.
New Developer
ansani

Hi Mac guys :smileyhappy:

I just bought a mac mini with mac osx 10.5.x and installed eclipse and JDE plugins.

Of course you can install *all* RIM plugins and components (I installed plugin .67 and 4.7 component) and you can code without troubles on eclipse IDE.

If you want to compile (like the Linux version) you need Darwine to execute rapc.exe (if you want to use tools provided by RIM) or you need to rewrite the rapc.exe wrapper (I'm using darwine + rapc and I'm still happy!) .

So, on macosx, you can produce a .cod and make signing without any problems.

Now I'm working on running emulator on macosx trough darwine (I have some gdiplus problems by now...).

Regards,

Salvatore

Please use plain text.