Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
jflores
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Eclipse Plugin: Excluding SVN files

Hi,

I'm working on a native blackberry applicaiton using the plugin for Eclipse.  After I checked in my application into subversion,  I noticed that the size of the cod file increased significantly.  I looked inside the jar generated the plugin and I saw that all my SVN files were there. 

Has any one run into this problem?  Is there a way to exclude all the SVN files?

I've tried using the exclusion pattern in Eclipse under Properties > Java Build Path >Source but that doesn't seem to work.

Thanks.

BlackBerry Development Advisor
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Passport

Re: Eclipse Plugin: Excluding SVN files

[ Edited ]

The beta release of the BlackBerry JDE Plug-in for Eclipse does not respect Eclipse exclusion rules (Properties > Java Build Path >Source).

Currently all files in the project are built.  You can remove the files from the project before building to exclude them from the cod file.

Message Edited by MSohm on 08-27-2008 09:21 AM
Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
New Developer
jflores

Thanks, Mark.  I think I found a work around. 

1.  Exit Eclipse, if running.

2.  Open the .jdp file for your project in a text editor and remove the files you want to exclude.

3.  Restart Eclipse and build your app. 

The files you removed should no longer be added the cod.

New Developer
mattakis

When can we expect a release which fixes this issue?

This makes the software essentially useless. Or noone uses SVN around here? Most popular VCSes use similar techniques to store their data together with the checked out files, so this should cause problems to basically everyone, who wants to use the tool. The "workaround" is simply  not acceptable.

Best Regards,

Gergely

Developer
simon_hain
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport

i don't think the beta plugin should be used in productive environments. test it, complain about it and wait for a final release.
i really hope they use the eclipse plugin mechanism next time. or integrate it using maven.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Developer
cwong15

Was there ever a resolution to this issue? I'm still seeing build issues with SVN metadata in the current 1.0.0.67 plugin.
New Developer
jflores

The plug-in is nice and is good for testing purposes.  But due to a few issues like this, I've made to switch to using ANT with the BlackBerry Ant Tools.  If you're not familiar with ANT, it's a little more work to get started but it's worth it.  Here's a couple of links, if you're interested....

http://bb-ant-tools.sourceforge.net/docs

http://www.slashdev.ca/2007/05/30/blackberry-development-with-ant-eclipse/1/

New Developer
JohnL4

You can also do this by modifying the build path in Eclipse.  

right-click on project | Configure Build Path | Source | Edit folder properties | Exclude Multiple and control-click on all the .svn folders. 

Contributor
markmanca

I didn't see a final answer on this post, so did a little more investigation.  Using the techniques on the reply previous to mine, but instead used used "Add" with **/.svn/* as the pattern (as referenced here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/225375/in-eclipse-how-can-i-exclude-some-files-maybe-based-on-the...) instead of "Add Multiple", I was able to successfully exclude the .svn directories and all of its content from my build.  My COD files shrank appropriately.

The technique works on both the Eclipse 1.0 plugin in Eclipse v3.4 (Ganymede) and in the Eclipse 1.1 plugin in Eclipse 3.5 (Galileo).  Though my experience with the 1.0 plugin is that I had to add the Exclusion filter every time I opened the project in Eclipse, while in the 1.1 plugin, the setting would survive a relaunch.

Developer
Shraddha

I have a similar issue... The cod is including all .svn files.

I tried things mentioned in this thread like adding **/SVN/ and excluded Thumbs.db from the build path etc.

The problem in my case is the .svn folders do not appear in the included list at all, but the final cod that is generated has the .svn files

Any solutions for this?