Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Eclipse Plugin Headaches

Let me just say that I really like developing in Eclipse. It's great for writing and navigating your code, helps keep things clean and nicely formatted, it's a real pleasure. The current plugin integrates nicely into Eclipse and really feels like a part of the program now instead of something that's just been tacked on.

I am, however, partially losing my cool and my mind with how slow and unreliable the simulator has become. Now, I work with a fairly large (~1mb) application that has multiple library project, so maybe this makes matters worse. But often the simulator can take five minutes or more just to load, and that's without the debugger attached. When it comes running the simulator and attaching the debugger I'm looking at a much longer wait and a really good chance that the it will never attach at all and time out after several minutes. Currently it has been sitting at "Launching .. (53%)" for several minutes and will probably timeout soon. Oh look, it just timed out again.

Now the JDE was FAR from perfect, but at least you could be reasonably confident that you could run the simulator and use the debugger. So far this thing has just heaped a great deal of stress and overhead onto my plate. It seems to get into these states where it just simply will not attach the debugger without doing something from restarting Eclipse to restarting the whole machine. 

I really hope we get an update soon that addresses this. Android development is looking more and more attractive by the day.

Sorry for the rant. Anyone else having similar woes?

New Contributor

Re: Eclipse Plugin Headaches

This is the opposite of my experience with the plug-in.  I'm running on an under-powered laptop and have found both building and debugging MUCH faster in Eclipse using the new plug-in than it was with the old JRE.  Even debugging on the device is much faster, and doesn't slow down the device at all.  I'd be interested to see how other people have faired.

Developer

I definitely go through periods where things seem to be working smoothly. Then at some point the whole thing goes to hell and I can't get anything to work. Maybe it's a memory issue, because Eclipse certainly was just consuming easily 600mb of my memory. 

How do you do your on-device debugging? Doesn't this cause the device to restart after loading the application and then the debugger loses your connection? I've heard of the workaround of manually deleting the app from your device every time, but that sounds like a pretty serious annoyance. Especially if you attempt to debug and forget to delete the app first, because then it will trigger a device restart, and then you'll have to manually delete the app yourself which will trigger ANOTHER restart, then you can try again to load it with the debugger. For my Curve 8900 those two restarts will take a combined 15 minutes. 

Developer

Usually my debug on simulator experience is pretty quick except when using one of the newest simulator models.  If at all possible I use an older one because they are significantly faster to start.  With that said I have never had a time-out and I am not waiting as long as you are, but then my laptop has decent power.

On device debugging is something I avoid unless I have to because it is slow.  Whether it needs to restart or not depends upon what is in the code.  You can avoid a restart sometimes by making sure the stop the debugger before deleting the app.  Forgetting to delete the app definitely slows things down because it won't work, but then again I do this on purpose sometimes if I am looking for a quick install on the device because even though you can't debug it still leaves a working install of the app behind.

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9650/BlackBerry Torch 9800

How much memory do you have on your PC? This sounds like a workstation issue or environment configuration issue.

What else do you run when you're working on your apps?

Mine take no longer than a minute and that is worst-case scenario.

Running a 3Ghz Core 2 Duo with 6 GB RAM with Windows 7 64-bit sitting on top of it.

Jerome Carty - Follow jcarty on Twitter@jcarty | #webworks-dev / #BlackberryDev on irc.freenode.net | My Apps
Click "Accept as Solution" if post solved your original issue.. Give like/thumbs up if you feel post is helpful
Developer

Sounds like you have a more powerful machine than mine :smileytongue:

I have 2.2 Ghz Core 2 Duo with 4GB of RAM .

I imagine my woes are a combination of not a lot of power, having a large and complex project, and somehow getting the environment into a strange state where things stop working. Sometimes my experience is much faster, but then something will change and suddenly it takes forever to load the simulator and the debugger won't attach. 

I guess I'll try to pay attention to memory consumption and restart Eclipse periodically if things start going to hell. 

Thanks

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9650/BlackBerry Torch 9800

Have you tried upping your heap size? I know mine was lower when I upgraded my plugin but i believe it is supposed to default to 256 and previously mine was set to 128 (can't remember on which machine).

My laptop specs are similar to your specs and I don't have the issue you're having there either.

Look in your eclipse.ini file for -Xmx256m or equivalent and see if changing the value to a higher number helps.

** The value that you're changing is your maximum heap size. If you're afraid that you may mess things up, don't forget to make a copy of the file before you change anything in it.

Jerome Carty - Follow jcarty on Twitter@jcarty | #webworks-dev / #BlackberryDev on irc.freenode.net | My Apps
Click "Accept as Solution" if post solved your original issue.. Give like/thumbs up if you feel post is helpful
Contributor

I totally concur! It's been like this for me since a month ago that I got interested in developing on Eclipse, and I agree the eclipse plugin is a pleasure to work with when it "works" as far as debugger is concerned. I guess everybody has developed some tricks to get around long waits and sometime timeouts! I often find restarting the debugger or wose the Eclipse solved the issue. But more importantly I have found out looks like my hardware limitation is playing a role here too. I have only 2 G of Ram on my P4 laptop and when debugger is struggling to attach it is ridding my laptop resourse (cpu and memory) to full trottle. So I'm interested to know if other people with bettre hardware still have the same headache with Eclipse plugin.

Developer

[ Edited ]

I'm posting this old thread as I have sort of a solution that I have been having to use. I've had a situation just like this where I'll be using the plugin just fine, debugging as usual, and then all of a sudden when I go to debug, the simulator takes forever to load and acts like it is using a 100Mhz processor when it finally runs. I believe this is what you are talking about.

Anyway, what I have found works are a couple things...to a point. The first was that I noticed that when the simulator starts to screw up, if you close both the simulator and eclipse, the next time you debug it will act like normal, that is up until a certain point. Eventually this method wont work to make the simulator act like normal again. So the other method that I found is working so far is that I have to clean the simulator every time I start debugging.

My machine is fine. I know that is not the issue.

UPDATE:

And sure enough, I was debugging again, and now my new method of cleaning the simulator just before debugging has stopped fixing the problem... :smileysad:  I guess I'm going to have to start incorporating workstation restarts into my debugging routine.

Developer
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Verizon

I solved this issue by using step filters, which increased my debugging ten folds. Plus, use the simulators that come with the SDK; which really isn't a good tip, but I've found that using the simulators that are individually downloaded are a tad bit slower, but nothing that step filters can't recover from.

http://help.eclipse.org/helios/index.jsp?topic=/org.eclipse.jdt.doc.user/reference/views/debug/ref-u...

--Todd

Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit (6.1 Build 7600) | Java SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_24-b07) | Eclipse Version: 3.6.2 [M20110210-1200] | BlackBerry Eclipse Plug-in: 1.3.0.201102031007-19 | Java Compiler level: 1.3 | Targeting devices running OS 5 | Simulators: JDE 5.0 packaged 9700, 9630, 9300