Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
LMcRae
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Eclipse always auto-starts app

I am taking another shot at going to Eclipse 3.5.  Seems to work fine for the most part but when I run my app on the simulator it always auto-starts.  I have tried toggling the Application->Auto-run on startup but it still happens.  I have even tried shutting Eclipse down. 

I wouldn't actually care but when my app is running it's unresponsive.  None of the BB keys like back or menu work. The app works fine in JDE.

Eclipse 1.1.2.201003212304-12

Developer
LMcRae

Re: Eclipse always auto-starts app

Deleted Eclipse. 

Downloaded Eclipse 3.5 classic. 

Did the updated site to get the plugin. 

Decided to import the AccelerometerDemo and everything worked correctly. No auto start, just the home screen.  Got excited, decided to make the OpenGLTest project again.  Still no joy in the burn, same thing.  The app always auto starts and is unresposive to any of the keys. 

Went on to make a new hello world app thinking it's only the projects that I make are broken. Nope, it ran fine.  Also the OpenGL app runs normal when I drill down to downloads and run it.  So it feels like another OpenGL problem.

Developer
LMcRae

Did more checking.  Has anyone noticed that when the simulator is starting up that it runs your program even if it's not auto start?  I put a break point on the AccelerometerDemo in the constructor and it gets hit.  Thing is that the actual app doesn't run, I get to the home screen.   I think maybe this is standard for the eclipse plugin and for some reason it can't kill an OpenGL context or something.

For the record, I think we should get points for installing eclipse. 

Developer
Ted_Hopp

Under run configurations, on the Simulator tab, make sure that the field "Launch app or URL on startup" is blank. That should stop your app from launching on startup.

Solved? click "Accept as solution". Helpful? give kudos by clicking on the star.
Developer
LMcRae

Booya!  Thank you so much Ted.  What is the point of the Auto-run on startup I wonder.

Developer
Ted_Hopp

The auto-run on startup has to do with whether your app is automatically started (usually as a background service) when a device boots up. This is a property that will carry through when your app is deployed on real devices, not a simulator setting.

Solved? click "Accept as solution". Helpful? give kudos by clicking on the star.
Developer
LMcRae

Gotcha.  Thank you again.

Regular Contributor
devin
My Device: 8900

This is acutally causing problems for me.  In the old version of the plugin my app works fine.  My app has two entry points, one is the background app and the other is the gui app.  In the new plugin my background app is having the activate method called when it starts up, which doesn't happen in the old plugin simulator or on the actuall blackberry.  The issue is that in my activate method I push a screen and it won't close when I try to close it, I guess because it is being created too soon or something.  The strange thing is that none of these issues happen when it is installed on the blackberry or in the old plugin.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Developer
BB-Dude
My Device: 9900

Devin you are posting to a solved thread and probably no one will help you.

You will need to start a new topic in order for the community to help you properly.