Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
bansalnikhil
My Device: Not Specified

Eclipse not able to find blackberry JDE path

Hi,

I am trying to make Eclipse work for blackberry. I installed eclipse version 3.4.2 and applied the blackberry pligin for eclipse. I also installed blackberry JDE 4.6 from the website. However, I am still not able to create a blackberry project in Eclipse. I see that "Blackberry" tab is there in the eclipse IDE but nothing is enabled in the drop down menu of this tab. Also, when I try to create a project by selecting blackberry wizard I get the following message.

"The blackberry path settings must be set before the plug-in feature can be used"

When I go to "Window" tab and preference menu item, under "Blackberry JDE" tab it gives me following message:

BlackBerry Components where not found.

and 

"The currently displayed page contains invalid values"

When I go to Eclipse directory (where I installed eclipse) I can see that blackberry plugin is there under "plugin" subdirectory.

Am I missing something here? Looks like somewhere I srewed up while applying the blackberry patch but am not able to figure it out.

I would appreciate if someone could help me out.

Thanks,

Nick

Please use plain text.
Developer
Berek

Re: Eclipse not able to find blackberry JDE path

I'm having exactly the same problem. I used the "link" method of installing the BlackBerry plug-in. However, I have exactly the problem you're describing. Menu items grayed. Same path message. Everything.
Please use plain text.
Developer
jcnielsen
My Device: Dev Alpha B
My Carrier: None atm.

Same problem here, I was wondering why the hell I couldn't see JDE 4.6, I think it is becasue the JDE installs itself in the wrong place invisible to Eclipse - somehow. I use Vista64 here the JDE installs itself in the Programs (x86) folder.
Br
J. C. Nielsen

Attended DEVCON 2010

Free Tibet
Please use plain text.
New Developer
mpmunger

I have the same problem.  Both eclipse (with Blackberry plug-in copied into features and plugins) and JDK are installed in Program Files and PATH contains their addresses.  Erasing settings.rc didn't work.  I'm flummoxed.
Please use plain text.
New Developer
mcmartinez84

I'm fairly certain I am having the exact same problem. It's rather frustrating that I can't figure out wtf I did wrong. I've tried reinstalling everything and still no luck. My BB menu in Eclipse is grayed out, and when I try to create a new BB project, I get an error saying I have to set the JDE path before the plug-in can be used. I'm not sure what to do. I'm definitely a BB noob. I'd really like to try making my own little apps for my phone, but this is quite obviously a hindrance. And I don't want to use another IDE. Eclipse would be ideal.

Help anyone?

Please use plain text.
Developer
Berek

I was able to get the plug-in installed using the third (update) method. (Specify the path and name of the downloaded zip.) However, I ran

into all sorts of problems using the combination of BB plug-in and Eclipse including breakpoints not working and stepping not working.

Eventually I had to resort to using the 4.7 JDE. It works like a charm and I've never looked back.

My $0.02 worth [smile].

Please use plain text.
Developer
robinShazam
My Device: Blackberry 8900 Javelin

[ Edited ]
I think for Eclipse 3.4.x you need to use the component packs. These are not the same as the full JDEs. You should find the component pack links in the same place as the Eclipse 3.4.x plugin link (which i found here). I can't say for sure though - i am still using the old Eclipse 3.3.1.1 plugin.
Message Edited by robinShazam on 06-23-2009 12:55 PM
Please use plain text.
New Developer
mcmartinez84

Holy cow, that was fast! As soon as I get home tonight I'm going to try all of that out - might even make a lunch break out of it :smileyvery-happy:

Thanks a million for posting possible solutions!! 

Please use plain text.
New Developer
mcmartinez84

:smileysurprised: It worked! I downloaded that and it all works! Looks like it's time for my BB HelloWorld to come to life!
Please use plain text.
Developer
Berek

LOL Don't forget to use alt-b to build your BB apps in Eclipse. If you don't, your apps will not be

downloaded to the simulator and you will not be able to run them. Also make sure you have

"Activate for Blackberry" checked when you right-click on the project. Good luck [smile].

Please use plain text.