03-09-2009 04:27 PM
First, let me say that I finally figured out how to get the Eclipse update site to actually work. Here's the secret formula:
1) Remove the existing BlackBerry Update Site entry from your Eclipse configuration, and exit Eclipse
2) Download and install the Java JRE 1.5 (not 1.6)
3) Edit your eclipse.ini so that Eclipse runs with JRE 1.5 ("-vm", "c:\path\to\javaw.exe")
4) Start Eclipse back up, and re-add the BlackBerry Update Site, using the RIM-provided URL
5) Select all the available updates, and tell it to install them
6) Enter your username/password when prompted
7) Let it run for a while (it takes a long time), until its done
Once this is done, you can switch Eclipse back to using JRE 1.6 and it will work fine. (Basically my research found that the "Unconnected sockets not implemented" error was a bug in 1.6 that doesn't exist in 1.5)
Once you've done that, and it takes a while for all the component packs, you'll notice that you now have a *newer* version of the plugin than the originally distributed Beta2 release. This version appears to fix 2 bugs that were driving me nuts:
1) Unable to use some UI classes on the 4.6 or 4.7 component packs without unresolvable errors.
2) Automatic inclusion of all your ".svn" directories in the compiler output (you'll still want to clean up the .jdp files, but the root problem appears to have been fixed)
03-13-2009 03:36 PM
03-14-2009 04:32 PM
Whatever the latest version is, I think. If you google for the specific error I mention, you may run across a random bug report like this:
However, this whole process really only works about 10% of the time anyways. I think its a side-effect of either corrupted zip files still lurking out there on RIM fileservers, or more likely some side-effect of the absurd download bandwidth throttling that RIM still insists on doing in many places.
I got it working using the above steps on my desktop, though it took hours to complete. On my laptop, after numerous tries, I basically gave up. It would get mostly done with the download(s), then randomly bomb out, on every try. (So I then zipped up the Eclipse folder on my desktop, transferred it over, and unpacked it)
03-16-2009 04:39 PM
I had exactly the same problem, which I solved slightly differently: in a command shell, I changed PATH and started Eclipse from the command line. Here's the output from "java -version" (before changing PATH):
java version "1.6.0_11"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_11-b03)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 11.0-b16, mixed mode, sharing)
I had to put the path to the Java 1.5 folder ahead of Windows\system32. This is on a Windows XP SP2 machine with Eclipse 3.4.2. (I haven't yet checked whether the plugin works under 3.4.2; the plugin page says that it is only supported on 3.4.0 and 3.4.1.)
A clue to what's going on, I think, is that when running under Java 1.6, Eclipse never prompted me for a name or password for "Test Realm". Under Java 1.5, I did get a challenge. Although this finally worked, I had to try it twice. The first time, after working for a while, the install stopped with the errors:
03-23-2009 12:48 PM - edited 03-23-2009 03:15 PM
Thanks for posting the version information. This error is being caused by a know issue in the Java JDK and should be fixed in JDK 1.6 update 14.
Note that you may have to clear out your Windows temp folder as well. Otherwise Eclipse could try to read a cached version of the file it previously downloaded (which is invalid).