Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Contributor
bbcoder
My Device: Not Specified

Eclipse with JDK 4.5, build, build all, packaging, sign general issues

I am new here but like to share what I have noticed so far on using Eclipse with Blackberry JDK 4.5 and 6.0. It is a great tool that I am able to get a small program going without major problem.

1)  Build All and Build Project are in grey unless Build Automatically is unchecked. That is fine. But if I uncheck Build Auto, and use Build All or Build Project, it really does not do anything. The deliverables (cod file) are created if you use Run or Debug buttons. That is quite confusing, don't know what Build really is meant for.

2) Project/Blackberry  Package Projects, Packcage All, and Sign with Signature Tool: It appears that sometime both Package projects and Package All are greyed out, sometimes Package Projects is greyed out. Quite random, I don't know what happens, just if I click somewhere, one of them turn to active. 

3) If it happens that Package Projects is active :-), it can automatically load the cod file that I need to sign and sign it automatically. Otherwise, I can use Sign with Signature Tool, and manually add the cod file to sign and use Request button. The problem I have is while either way gets the cod signed, neither is able to quit. The sign window dismissed, but Eclipse hangs until I have to kill the process from Task manager. This seems only my experience. So I can live with it unless someone else has such issue too.

4) Everytime a new build (well really Run as mentioned in 1)  is done, I need to sign before I can send to device. If I develop something to access email, for example, I guess I can use some email simulator, at this point I have to sign it and send to the device to test. Compound with the hang after sign, the sign each time after a new build seems quite excessive. 

bbcoder

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One can always do two beautiful things in life: to save a life and to make a life