Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Vodafone AU

Email attachments in Blackberry Simulator

[ Edited ]

I am developing an app using a custom AttachmentHandler, and testing this in the BB simulator is driving me crazy.  I have managed to get the email send/receive working using ESS from the 4.6 Component pack, but doing so converts downloads the email to the simulator as raw base64 plain text.  Searching the forums indicates that ESS doesn't handle attachments.

So, having installed the JDE1.1 plugin for Eclipse with the v5 component pack, I attempted with MDS.  Now when sending an email from the simulator device, I get the error Unknown packet destination C_MIME.  I am at a loss as to how to get emails working through the simulator with MDS,as there is no GUI for configuring ports etc as with ESS.  Also, the v5 component pack has an empty ESS directory in it.

So, my 2 questions are - Is ESS deprecated, or have I simply got a bad install?  And, how do you configure MDS to allow the simulator to send/receive emails.

BTW: Using 9700 Bold simulator OS: 5.0.0.334, and 9700 Bold handset.  OS: 5.0.0.321, Vodafone AU

Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer some help on these issues.

Garrick

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry Passport
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Email attachments in Blackberry Simulator

Neither the ESS nor the MDS-CS simulator support email attachments.  To test this you can either use a real BlackBerry Smartphone or connect a BlackBerry Smartphone Simulator to a BlackBerry Enterprise Server.

How To - Connect the BlackBerry Device Simulator to a BlackBerry Enterprise Server
Article Number: DB-00049

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/800792/801083/How_To_...

Here are the steps to configure the MDS-CS simulator to send and receive email.

How To - Configure email simulation support in the BlackBerry MDS Simulator
Article Number: DB-00651

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/800792/801079/How_To_...

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker