Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
JCarty
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9650/BlackBerry Torch 9800

Re: Enhancements to the BlackBerry Developer Forums

I agree to this. It's a bit limited. Words are truncated on devices that have very high resolutions to support a lot more than what is being offered. It seems like we're still in the age of WAP pages with the mobile version of the forums.

Not to complain but I know you guys can do better that's why I'm voicing it.

Jerome Carty - Follow jcarty on Twitter@jcarty | #webworks-dev / #BlackberryDev on irc.freenode.net | My Apps
Click "Accept as Solution" if post solved your original issue.. Give like/thumbs up if you feel post is helpful
Please use plain text.
Developer
rcmaniac25
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.2.1.3253, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.1.634 Dev OS, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.1.634 Dev OS, Passport (SQW100-1)-10.3.0.1154, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: Verizon

I think the forums are great, I'm just waiting for this: http://www.lithium.com/pdfs/datasheets/Lithium-Mobile.pdf

---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.
Please use plain text.
Developer
DAquilina
My Device: BOLD 9700 OS5.0.0.x on Rogers Canada
My Carrier: Rogers

Quick question with respect to the enhancements:

Does the new developer ranking system override the old forum rankings? For example, Peter_Strange was ranked "Elite I". He's now shown as "Developer Lv3". is all of the time he put in before the enhancements just... gone? I'm aware there are certain perks (more kudo power, custom avatar, etc) that come with higher rankings, and my question is basically whether or not those perks carry over.

If they do not (in other words, if the Developer Levels completely override the standard forum rankings), at which ranks do we see the same perks? (More specifically, at what level can I use a custom avatar?)

Thanks for your consideration,

~Dom

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
chown -R us ./base
~J!NX
Please use plain text.
Developer
tejaswiyvs
My Device: Blackberry Bold
My Carrier: Verizon

Kudos from me to Peter_Strange, RexDoug, simon_hain!

Please use plain text.
Developer
PoojaMaheshwari
My Device: 9500
My Carrier: Airtel

Thanks Mark and all the top posters. Thanks everyone for the awesome posts and continuous efforts to make the blackberry development such an enjoyable experience for the community.

Please use plain text.
Developer
simon_hain
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

Well, i would like to get some feedback, been some time since the change.

The hammer symbol for all developers together with the "level" is a lot less clearly arranged than the rating before.

I can see the idea of having developers getting an own ranking (as an elite user from another support area may not be able to give developer adivce), but i don't think it is needed at all.

With the exception of JSanders there is nobody of the "outside" visiting us, and i did never see any high ranked forum member from another part give developer advice that was considered wrong.

The 3 levels are a lot less distinguishable than the 10+ ranks of the normal star system.

----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Please use plain text.
Developer
DAquilina
My Device: BOLD 9700 OS5.0.0.x on Rogers Canada
My Carrier: Rogers

Technically there are 7 Developer levels, but I don't think they're going to be giving away a free BlackBerry (level 4) any time soon...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
chown -R us ./base
~J!NX
Please use plain text.
Administrator (Retired)
mkirkup
My Device: Not Specified

Yes, the new rankings will take over the old rankings.  It isn't that the old ranking was lost (far be it) but rather we are changing the rankings to correspond to the new Developer Recognition program.  The contributions of everyone will still be reflected in those levels.

Mike

Mike Kirkup
Director, Developer Relations
Please use plain text.
Administrator (Retired)
mkirkup
My Device: Not Specified

Thanks Simon.

We are limited by what Lithium provides us in terms of space.  We do want to showcase the levels as an indication of the contribution that people like yourself are making to the community.  What would you suggest instead?  Should we get rid of the Lv part to make it more clear to see the number 3?  Or remove the hammer?

Mike

Mike Kirkup
Director, Developer Relations
Please use plain text.
Developer
JCarty
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9650/BlackBerry Torch 9800

Mike,

A better indicator (color badge) to indicate level is easier to identify than the Lv text. Also, what do you need to do to accomplish each of these levels?

That is not clearly outlined anywhere.

Jerome Carty - Follow jcarty on Twitter@jcarty | #webworks-dev / #BlackberryDev on irc.freenode.net | My Apps
Click "Accept as Solution" if post solved your original issue.. Give like/thumbs up if you feel post is helpful
Please use plain text.