Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
benwa73
My Device: Bold
My Carrier: AT&T

Error running blackberry simulator from Eclipse Plugin - NullPointerException

I'm trying to run the HelloWorld app, and when I attempt to launch the blackberry simulator (right click the HelloWorld project, click Run As-->Blackberry Simulator) I get this error:

An internal error occurred during: "Launching HelloWorld".
java.lang.NullPointerException

Then I can't restart the simulator without exiting eclipse and coming back in.

This is with eclipse 3.5 and java plugin version 1.1.1.200911111641-15.  I used all the defaults as specified in the HelloWorld getting started doc.

Please use plain text.
Developer
JCarty
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9650/BlackBerry Torch 9800

Re: Error running blackberry simulator from Eclipse Plugin - NullPointerException

Try checking my walkthrough (in my signature) and review any settings to see if they'll help. If not, post here and we can help a bit further.

Thanks.

Jerome Carty - Follow jcarty on Twitter@jcarty | #webworks-dev / #BlackberryDev on irc.freenode.net | My Apps
Click "Accept as Solution" if post solved your original issue.. Give like/thumbs up if you feel post is helpful
Please use plain text.
New Developer
benwa73

Re: Error running blackberry simulator from Eclipse Plugin - NullPointerException

Thanks Jerome.  It seems that the only difference is my installed JRE is 1.5 or 1.6.  But I thought it would use the 1.3/1.4 compatability level built into the JRE System Library (Blackberry JRE 5.0.0).  It seems to null pointer right off the bat.

Please use plain text.
Developer
RexDoug
My Device: Not Specified

[ Edited ]

JRE 5.0 requires Java 1.6

The NPE sounds more like an application issue, however.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
benwa73

I'm only running the simplest of apps, the HelloWorld app.  I even tried to debug the simluator and it doesn't hit any of the breakpoints I've set (in the limited scope of the one java file)

Please use plain text.
Developer
JCarty
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9650/BlackBerry Torch 9800

Are you getting this NPE from Eclipse or within the simulator? If it is from within Eclipse, try checking the parameters of your BlackBerry Descriptor XML file.

Are you using any language resources?

Generating an ALX file?

Something within your workspace or the project in particular is causing the problem (if it is giving you the error in Eclipse).

Jerome Carty - Follow jcarty on Twitter@jcarty | #webworks-dev / #BlackberryDev on irc.freenode.net | My Apps
Click "Accept as Solution" if post solved your original issue.. Give like/thumbs up if you feel post is helpful
Please use plain text.
New Developer
benwa73

Its happening within eclipse for sure. I thought maybe there was a quick answer, instead I will try a new workspace and/or a new eclipse install
Please use plain text.