Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
sdua
My Device: Not Specified

Exception: Unable to open PDP context

Hey guys,

I am a newbie application developer. My application is trying to connect to a remote webservice. It works perfectly when connected with WIFI etc but breaks down when I try it for a BES/BIS connected device. I get an exception saying "unable to open PDP context"

I don't understand what a PDP context is so can someone point me to any resources where i can find info on that?

Also i do see that this problem has been faced by people earlier so if anyone found a solution, it'd be great if you can share it.

Thanks a ton on this.

Developer

Re: Exception: Unable to open PDP context

[ Edited ]

Opening a Packet Data Protocol (PDP) context is a step in establishing an IP tunnel via a cellular network. As part of this step, the provided Access Point Name (APN) is resolved into an IP address of the GGSN that will terminate the IP tunnel into a Packet Data Network (PDN). In a typical scenario, the PDN is a carrier-owned private network that has NAT-ed access to the Internet. If you are trying to connect via the MDS or BIS-B routes, the PDN (identified by the "blackberry.net" APN) will be the one connected to RIM network infrastructure.

Since you are trying to connect to the MDS/BIS-B, then your error probably means that the device cannot open a PDP context via the blackberry.net APN for some reason.

More to the point though, please clear the Event Log just before you application attempts the connection, reproduce the issue, and then post the Event Log here. May be the log will give more information about the issue. For example, it'll tell what APN the OS is trying to use for your connection.

P.S. It's a good idea to change the Event Log level to Debug, as this will show much more information.

New Developer
sdua

Thanks Klyubin for an express reply. I'll take a bit to try this out n post it back. Its awesome to see this community so alive. Cheers!

New Developer
AmigaDude

For most of us, I think this probably that the APN settings are incorrect.  Either in your TCP/IP settings, or something you provided in making the connection.

For example, with AT&T / Cingular it has to be APN=wap.cingular , Username=WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM, etc...

Any deviation would most likely fail and give you that error.  Likewise, if you are not paying for a BB data service you don't get access to the blackberry.net APN.