Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
cornflakes
My Device: Not Specified

Existing Push Services

Hello,

I have gone through the Push documentation and successfully stood up the "Push"  sample application.  I'm just curious if blackberry hosts a suite of server side "Push" services (such as for sports, weather, etc) that we can write client side applications against.  For example, I'm currently "mocking" pushing real time updates to my client app via the push API.  I'm wondering if I can get access to a live server application to push data to my client, if I should invest the time writing the server side app myself, or if I should have the client application pull data from a web service response.

Thanks in advance.

New Developer
cornflakes

Re: Existing Push Services

Can you please point me to existing documentation on either how to develop a push service, or to a list of existing push services that can be used when developing a client application.

I've looked through the Push API documentation (here: http://na.blackberry.com/eng/developers/javaappdev/pushapi.jsp), developed a simple prototype client application which receives push requests, and am currently mocking the Content provider using a swing app and the  MDS simulator.  The next phase is to either develop a content provider or use an existing content provider.  If the former, any help on how to set this up would be much appreciated.  If the latter, I can use the data pushed from an existing push service and display this information in my UI. 

Thanks in advance.

Developer
simon_hain
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport

pushs run over the BES. The BES is usually owned by a company or a hosting provider. That means there is no general service utilizing the push architecture as there is no public access to a companies BES.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
New Developer
cornflakes

Thanks, Simon.

Is there any documentation on the BES, and developing push services?  I saw there was information on pricing (here: http://na.blackberry.com/eng/developers/javaappdev/pushapi.jsp#tab_tab_pricing).

Thanks again.

Developer
simon_hain
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport

ah, ok, it seems we talked about different things.
the mentioned channel push allows content providers to register pushs with RIM itself, thus delivering the data to all subscribed phones.
RIM announced to offer BIS-push sometime, i am not sure if this is the same as on the linked website.

as it is only available for ISV alliance members you'll have to contact RIM about the details.
(my company is within ISV, but we never used this)

personally i am only familiar with the BES push, using the companies own BES server. there is no fee associated with this.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
New Developer
cornflakes

Ok, thanks.  I'm in the process of contacting RIM so I can get more information.

In the meantime, are there any examples illustrating how to pull data from existing web services (and poll periodically).  I can work with this while I'm waiting for more information on the push services?  For example, if I (hypothetically) wanted to pull data from a sports/weather/stock web service and then display the results in a client side application (on the phone), is there an example illustrating how to do this (or can you point me to another resource)?

Thanks again, Simon.  Much appreciated.