Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Torch 9800, Storm 9530, Curve 8330

Export control

[ Edited ]

The new App World ISV portal requires an export code (ECCN) for USA based developers.

what ECCN are others using for their apps?

Thank you

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9650/BlackBerry Torch 9800

Re: Export control

Say yes and your next question pops up asking if it's limited to generating licenses etc. Then say yes.

By the way, submitted the XMAS app yet?

Jerome Carty - Follow jcarty on Twitter@jcarty | #webworks-dev / #BlackberryDev on irc.freenode.net | My Apps
Click "Accept as Solution" if post solved your original issue.. Give like/thumbs up if you feel post is helpful
Developer

[ Edited ]

That's what I'd been saying, but the new system asks different questions, it asks what types of encryption are used, and then requires an export control number if it was developed in the USA, even if only "digital signature" encryption is selected.  If "no encryption" is selected it doesn't ask for an ECCN, but don't we have to check "digital signature" because every app is digitally signed?

The old system wasn't asking for an ECCN if it was just "encryption" for licensing or signature.

Developer

[ Edited ]

RIM's knowledge base article says we should call SHA1 to generate unique keys from strings for the PersistentStore and RuntimeStore.  Am avoiding that by running their code in the simulator, noting the result for each key, and then hard-coding the key and commenting out the call to SHA1.

Have seen some people posting about using other methods to generate a long from a string, but unless everyone's using the same method, uniqueness is not at all guaranteed.  SHA1 seems the approved method.  If we do make that call per RIM's sample code, does that change the export classification?

Developer

Based on what you're saying, I don't believe this was well thought through by RIM. I just logged in (trying to submit my holiday app *hint hint*) and noticed the big changes.

I don't believe that the built-in methods apply to this restriction though as stated in a few of the questions following based on your selection.

Jerome Carty - Follow jcarty on Twitter@jcarty | #webworks-dev / #BlackberryDev on irc.freenode.net | My Apps
Click "Accept as Solution" if post solved your original issue.. Give like/thumbs up if you feel post is helpful
Developer

[ Edited ]

I'm still stuck having to get an export code though.  Are you U.S., have you read the regulations?  Seems overly difficult for something as simple as what we're doing, such as the requirement to keep records on when, where, by whom, and on what piece of equipment each record was created.

Developer

Ahh now I see it. This does pose a problem for one of my games that has copy protection when I submit an update to it.

Based on the following doc, I'm not sure what the application is classified as:

http://www.access.gpo.gov/bis/ear/pdf/indexccl.pdf

Developer

[ Edited ]

Can anyone share what ECCN they are using for their apps?

Developer

[ Edited ]

Cleared the matter up after speaking at length with someone at BIS.

Unfortunately App World won't accept the ECCN the guy said to use.

Can RIM reply to this, please?

Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport

i'll escalate it to rim

----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter