Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
avgJo
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Facebook app style sleek UI

I looked at Facebook for Blackberry and was wowed.Turns out it was

developed by RIM. Are there any examples for developing such a cool UI?

I was wondering if anbody can let me in on the "inside secrets".

I know about extending button classes etc, to have their own

paint() methods - are there any examples?

Developer
marchywka

Re: Facebook app style sleek UI

LOL- I guess that explains why it can connect reliably to the internet.

Developer
Developer
bo

[ Edited ]
I too am interested in how the Facebook application can connect to the internet reliably.
Message Edited by bo on 01-30-2009 02:32 PM
Developer
RexDoug

I'm guessing that the FaceBook application uses BIS-B (Public MDS) for connectivity.

I did hear from Mr. Kirkup (at Devcon) that BIS-B is going to be made more "public" in the near future, so there is still hope for non-alliance folks. I haven't heard anything since.

Failing that, you need to join up (if you haven't already).

I think that something like 95% of your connectivity support issues go away with BIS-B, so it is worth the effort.

Developer
marchywka

It is starting to sound like someone managed to turn a technical problem into a political one.

If your cable company had a legal right of way to run a cable and install repeater boxes on your

living room wall, and then charge you for internet access, wouldn't you be a bit annoyed if then

you also needed to pay the cable box maker in a separate arragnement just so you get reliable

network access? LOL.

Why do you also need to form an alliance with a device maker to use the data plan you pay for?

I'm not sure if the carrier apps work well or not, but doesn't this seem like a bad use

of public frequency spectrum and whatever land is used for cell towers?

Not to mention the fact they aren't up front about the "problem" and therefore waste a lot

of our time?

Developer
RexDoug

Maybe, but I wouldn't be annoyed with the cable box maker. He's just trying to smooth over the wrinkles left by the cable companies.

:smileyhappy:

New Developer
cklosowski

To be honest, I really dislike the fact that RIM broke the UI with this application. When using a theme that is white on black (text on background) you cannot read the text of the menus because of what becomes white on white text. I think you should be able to turn off and on the UI 'enhancements'.